"Hybrid" or All-Tube.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwx014, Dec 22, 2005.

1. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Hi! I'm looking for a new amp and have pretty much narrowed it down to three. 1) Ampeg SVT-CL 2) Aguilar DB750 and 3) Orange AD200B. Do you have any pro's, con's or other opinions on these amps? I play with a Rickenbacker 4003. Thanks.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    of those 3 I'd go Orange! I think I'm going to add one to my gear soon.... I need something suited for both bass AND guitar
  3. big low end

big low end

Dec 19, 2005
    All solid state. Get some POWER!!! :hyper:
  4. Look into other ampeg heads, the CL isnt exactly the best example

They are all really different sounding heads, and it depends on what sound your looking for, Ampeg will get down and dirty, the Aguilar will be pretty clean (i think?), and the orange is that all tube sound but cleaner than the ampeg

You might also want to look at a Mesa 400/400+
  5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I'd go with the Orange. If I'd heard and liked one first, I suppose. I'll always tend to go with the rarer gear over something everybody's using. Not crazy about the other 2 on your list.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Well, the best I can give here is that I truly love my all tube heads BUT my Kern(all tube pre) & Crown(S/S power) totally crush any other set-up in lows & searing highs with the tube grittiness if need be. Though, the Kern can't touch the massively overdriven sound of all tubes WFO, if that's what you're after, albeit with sacrificed monster lows...

7. I play an '03 Rick 4003 into a Mesa Bass 400, and love every minute of it....
  8. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Well... I've got two fairly good representatives of both worlds:

HYBRID- Aguilar DB750

ALL-TUBER- Marshall VBA400

I luv 'em both like little puppy dogs, but I've been working the Big Daddy Aggie more often these days. I'll bust-out the VBA a little every now and then... but the Aggie is earning most of the pay these days...

There are lot's more folks that luv their DB750's, too, and you can easily look for their opinions, as many recent posts are not too hard to find. As for the others you listed... I'll leave you to the opinions of others, as I'm not familiar with any of them to comment... :bassist:
  9. If you are looking for a hybrid that sounds very 'tubey', the MesaMpulse600 might be something to check out. Two rack space, loud as heck into a 4ohm load, and very warm and buttery like a 100% tube amp. The 600 is really voiced to give you a more refined tube sound, while the BB750 is really voiced to grind and rock. So, depending on your sound, either one of these might be an option if you don't want to carry the 'big iron' of a 100% tube amp (or 750) around.
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm sorry, but neither of those amps sound like an all valve amp, simply because they aren't.

Out of those three choices, I'd take the Orange.
  11. +1 The thread originator mentioned a possible interest in a hybrid amp, and those two sound more on the 'tubey' side of the hybrids versus, for example, the Eden and SWR line which sound more on the 'SS' side to me. The Ag750 also sounds on the tubey side, but is just so darn heavy and big. So... I just wanted to mention the Mesa's as a possible low weight and very loud option.
  12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Since aguilar doesn't make an all tube head to directly compare with the other two, you would have to compare the DB359 for a direct comparision. Each of these three have a very different sound. The Ampeg is a classic for a reason... It's solid tone with little drama. Not the cleanest sounding amp, but definitely a sound that cuts thru well in any enviroment. The orange to my ears was closer in sound to the ampeg but almost to a Marshall tube bass amp. Depending what you are looking for a used DB359 may be an option that fits, or if you want to consider other hybrids, I played a Mesa Big Block 750 that sounds great and definitely has a tube "vibe" What about the Mesa 400+
  13. big low end

big low end

Dec 19, 2005

Ampeg is what all the others are based on. Ampeg is a bit dirty...but then a great deal of bassists use so many effects...whats the difference? :scowl:
  14. I think, taking your choice of bass into account, the Orange or A Marshall VBA-400 would be a good choice - the Orange is only 200watts, compared to the 300 of the Ampeg, and 400 of the Marshall if you can find one...
  15. GO the Orange!
    Veeeerrrrrryy nice tone. Better than the modern SVT.
    I wouldn't worry about the volume factor - they get pretty damn loud all the same, try one out with an Ampeg 810e, and i'd hazard a bet you'd buy it on the spot. :)
    Just bear in mind the standard tubes are only cheap and crappy.
  16. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    Yep, TUBE!!
    I've tried to go tube pre with FET power and was never satisified.
    I've since gone all tube 400 watts, more than I'll ever need, so I'm finaly satisified with my amp potential!
    The orange or even maybe a Yorkville YBA200 would do.
  17. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Funny, when I picked up my Eden Time Traveler combo (DC112XLT) I was completely fooled, thinking it was a hybrid. The sound (w/elrick) needed not to be questioned, it definitely had a tube pre. hehehe, WRONG! This 'lil guy is completely s/s and kicks some serious ass, can't wait to pair it w/a berg. 210S.

18. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

My heart says "All Tube", my back says "Hybrid".

19. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    :D :D :D

Ain't 'dat 'da truth!

...but I'm still an ostrich with my head in the sand. My Marshall VBA400 weighs just slightly south of 80 pounds, and my hybrid Aggie DB750 scales-in at a little more than half that... 46 pounds (I think...).

Oh well... I was doomed since junior high, and high school days. I played sousaphone in the marching band in high school... I was the only skinny, 130 pound guy among seven other fat guys! We didn't have any of those fancy, schmancy fiberglass sousaphones... they arrived after I graduated!

Just bend your knees, and keep your back straight! Knock on wood... my back is still okay, and I'll be 53 next month! ;)