Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hybrid string question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by hensonbass, Oct 11, 2005.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    On my Shen hybrid I've had a set of Obligatos and so far the G str. is great, D is very good, and the A & E are dead. I found that the lower strings didn't have as much upper freq. (lost in the mix syndrome) for pizz as I would have liked, though they did have a good fundamental and nice bowed sound before they died. For those interested I got about 6 months out of those suckers.

OK before your sugestions I'll tell you where I've been. Kolstein Heritage strings are too loose for me. The tone was good for pizz and ok for bowing. Corelli strings are too thin sounding IMO. Helicore Hybrids are bland. I have not tried Dominants or Spirocores yet.

I'm looking for a little more 'cut' when I pizz and still maintain a good bowed sound. I'm thinking I'll keep the G & D Oblig. on till they give out and try something else for the A & E.

Would Dominants be a little brighter? Or do I have to get to Weich Spiros to get to the next level? Or am I missing something? :confused:

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Weichs would probably be your best choice. They are warm and cut through great. I have always liked Spirocore E's. They just seem to bring out the best in a bass. That and the Weichs match up excellent with the Obligatos D and G.

3. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Try the Pirastro Flatchromesteel strings.

I bought a set used to try out and I was very surprised how good they sounded on my bass for pizz (jazz) playing and arco.

I can describe them as sounding like Spirocore Weich's on steroids.

I think they cost as much as Spirocore Weich's new.

Good Luck

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Just plain ol' Spiros are fine, once they settle in a bit. The arco can seem mean at first, but if you just keep at it your chops will rise to the occasion and then the strings give you so much in terms of variance of tone, articulation, etc. They are unforgiving, though. Garbage in, garbage out. For the orchestral guys, most anyhow, they're too bright. Although I thing the Baltimore section has gone all Spiros...

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I wanted to add to that a little bit:

I spent most of three years fussing with strings while I work (insanely) on my arco thing. Where I ended up falling back to for quite a while as a good string for this was Spiro Solos at regular pitch. Ultimately I grew tired of them as they were kidna two-dimensional in terms of tone and articulation. There was one good sound that you could get out of them, but that was about it. Also, in retrospect, they were a LOT brighter/thinner for The Stick compared to regular Spiros, which I'm running now.

Now, looking back and being pretty comfortable with the current string for bowing, I would put a student on Solos for a while to get things going, but get them back off of them as soon as the student was showing sufficient strength to handle the thicker strings. The transition from Solos the Regulars is a bit of a bitch and took me about a month to get back to the same place, but once I got there I found so many more open doors.

The other string that I found along the way that I liked a lot for both was the Thomstik Dominant. Very cool string, but feel really stiff for pizz playing. I have a feeling that a lot of this could be offset with the curve of the fingerboard, but carving away wood to satisfy strings is a commitment I wasn't ready to make.

Other strings, like the Obligatos and Heritages, seem to find inital favor with folks, but the love affair always seems to be short-lived. Weichs work for a lot of people, but not me.

I started on Thomastik strings and have played them (mostly) for 25 years, so keep that in mind as well.

YMMV

6. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the advice. I didn't have time to get some strings over the internet so I had to buy some here in town.

I went over to Ronald Sachs' shop and got a med.gauge A & E Spiro put on. I think these are going to work for now. They definitely don't bow as smoothly, but for the Shen and the type of work I do on it I think the way they pizz is a step in the right direction as far as sound is concerned.

Also you can't judge a string too harshly when it's brand new. Time will tell as usual.

7. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just put a set of Supersensitive Pinnacle strings on a bass I'm using here (in the Sierra Nevada mountains) for my one man show. It was the best the local music store had -- and I have to say I am very pleasnatly surprised -- warm, full sound; bow well and respond well.

I don't know if I'd replace the Jargars and Corellis on my basses at home, but they're certainly a better product than I expected.

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    They're indeed a very nice string.
    Is the A okay on your bass?
    Here it sounds weaker than the other strings. Same thing with a set of Super-Sensitive Supremes. Odd.

9. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Funny you should mention that. It's a little, what? Flabby? I just wrote it off to the bass. But still the G &D made a big improvement on the sound here.