1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Hydrive 112 or Fender Rumble V3 210 or 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jlepre, Jun 3, 2016.

1. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Question for the mob....

I picked up the Hydrive 112 at a closeout price, and was thinking of pairing it with my 210 Rumble cab. Now I'm having other thoughts.

I'm thinking of purchasing the 15-inch Rumble extension cab or the 210. I already own the 210 extension cab, but I'm wondering if adding the 15 to the 210 would be a more flexible setup. The amp that I would be pairing it with would be the Magellan 800 by Genzler.

I know that the so-called experts on here think that matching exact cabs is the best way to go. However I'm thinking having two of the same cabinet is kind of redundant. I'm also thinking that having the 15 at my rehearsal space would be a better option.

Has anyone used the 15 with another brand amplifier and had good success? Another fear is that the 15 will not be as articulate as the 210 cab.

Please keep the mismatched cab flaming to a minimum.

2. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    The only thing that should concern you when using mismatched cabs, is the power being delivered to each one. Assuming that the ohm loads are the same, a 115 cab has approximately half the surface area of a 410. Therefore it's essentially receiving twice the power.

However, pair that same 115 with a 210 (same ohm ratings), and the surface area is almost identical, giving each cab the same amount of power.

Phasing issues are the most overrated concern in the bass world. As soon as you place a cabinet into a room with reflective surfaces, you introduce multiple phase issues. Sound doesn't simply hit a wall and stop - it bounces everywhere, creating standing waves and cancellations all over the room.

Use your ears, and try as much as you can. Bring your bass and cabinet with you, and play through all of it.

3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Thanks for your reply @tfer I'm trying to get an opinion on whether to keep the 112, return it and buy the 15 or the 210?

4. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    The 112 is a nice compromise between 15" and 10" drivers.

I've got 2 210 cabs and a 115. One of the 210s is sealed and the other is vented. The vented cab handles lows far better than the sealed, which was basically designed to add midrange support to a 115.

If I'm playing with a loud drummer, the 210s can't keep up; the 115 can. But I play with a low B string. With a 4 string, the vented cab would do.

5. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    I have a hydrive 112 and would love to have a second one but that feels like a $300 experiment.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Buy the Rumble 210 & 115 punch up and knock 'em dead!

7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I already own the 210...just trying to get opinions if the 15 or another 210 would be the best match for my MG800

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a second matching 2x10 by a mile. (read one of the always raging "matching speakers" or "4x10 and 1x15" threads to understand why.)

a pair of rumble 2x10s stacked vertically with a strong amp on top is a lot of rig for a little weight and a little money.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021