1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hydrogen drum machine help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kristlik, Feb 22, 2008.

1. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a fairly simple drum track for the Hydrogen drum machine; that will funtion mostly like a metronome for practice, but will actually sound like a fairly decent drummer? I'd rather get my ear more used to following drums, than a metronome beep.

2. When I need a basic, metronome like drumbeat... bass drum on beats 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4, hi-hat on 1,2,3,4, maybe crash on 1 so you know when the new measure starts, any tempo you like. It is a corny and overused pattern, but some punk drummers have done this for decades, so - it kinda works:)

3. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Anything with more of a blues feel?

4. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I dunno much about Hydrogen, but set the swing tempo to between 50-90% and that will make it sound more natural. Just listen to any blues song, tap your foot, count where the hits are (most blues drums is not complicated at all), then reproduce it with your keyboard/drumpad.

5. Col Pruse

Col Pruse

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    add extra kicks or snares on the off beats, or take away one on the down beats until you find something you like. I use the basic beat like the other person suggested all the time.

Or just listen to a blues song that has a beat you're thinking of and try to figure it out, hydrogen is pretty easy to mess with.

6. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks