1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hydroxycut, the real deal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Mar 20, 2006.

1. I play lacrosse for my high school, and am some overweight, I don't know how severely though, I'm about 6' 190 lbs. I'm not very muscular and I was wondering about hydroxycut. I have lacrosse 4 to 5 days a week and I weight lift 4 to 5 days a week also, so I'm aware of and don't plan on trying to sit on my butt, take some pills and expect it to wear off. I'm just trying to quicken the process a little bit for the warm weather coming and for finally some real self confidence.

But what are the downsides of Hydroxycut? How severe and common are they? Tell me your experiences if you have any also. I want to know before I try it.

Thanks a lot fellas!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Change your diet. Don't bother with the pills and such. More protein, less sugars, less excessive carbs. Do some aerobic workouts like the lacrosse. Do some running. You'll build muscle first, but then the fat will start to come off. I need to do this as well. I have most of my fat at my midsection, and I really need to trim it off for the summer. I want to look fit again.

3. +1

As for Hydroxycut - here are some of the experiences I have seen.

Hydroxycut has extensive side effects in many people, including blurred vision, dizziness and headaches. Sounds good so far:meh:

Hydroxycut used to be made using ephedrine, which is just speed. No longer allowed to use this ingredient, they have opted for a synthetic version.

In one athlete I worked with, he became extremely sick because he decided to double his dose to get results twice as fast. He ended up losing weight, but not much and was puking every day.

This product, when used carefully and in small amounts can aid in weight loss and tone definition, but I would advise that better diet and more focussed exercise is more beneficial.

I wouldn't recommend this product to any of my clients.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Get in the gym and pump iron, then do a bunch of running and cardio. Forget these stupid pills.

-Mike

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You'll be quick to find pills are worthless. I sure have. Find a healthy exercise routine and diet that works for you, and follow it. If you read the disclaimers for all these diet pills, you'll see how truly worthless they are. The average weight loss for these pills is 3 or 4 pounds after 3 months.

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    you're not overweight being 6 foot and weighing 190

7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yep, just like everyone else has said. Skip the pills altogether. These types of pills arent' good for anyone, but you shouldn't even be thinking about it considering the fact that you are still in high school. Your body isn't even completely developed yet (no I'm not talking about puberty, there's still alot that goes on after that!) so the last thing you need to be doing is messing with your chemical balances and metabolism. Besides, you'll feel alot better about the whole thing if you put in the sweat and tears. There have been several threads about weight loss/fitness in the last few months. If your looking for some pointers search for some those.

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Sounding it out you get: hydro(gen) . . . oxy(gen) . . . cut.

All this crap does is make you lose some water, which you get back when you drink water man. It's bad for you, and extremely temporary.

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I have about the same build as you. I think the best way is to work out and to excercise, that will build your muscles and cut your fat better than some questionable pill. Also dont weight lift more than twice a week, your body needs the time to rebuild, even if you're working on a different section every day. If you cut it down to 2 days a week, you will probably gain muscle faster.

10. Yes he is, at least according to the BMI found here

He can stand to lose weight, but hydroxy cut is not the answer.

I weigh 150 and am the same height and according to that calculator, I'm "normal."

As others suggested, increase protein intake, follow a diet, start a cardiovascular regiment (for the weight loss) and start with light weight repetitions to slowly build muscle mass... muscle ways more also, so keep that in mind.

I usually go to the gym five times a week, with three of those days involving cardio and light weight training, and the other two days being purely weight training.

I seem to be holding up fine... good luck, and please don't use those pills. I've seen close friends go through serious business from using'em.

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    hmm.. that one is strict then...

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Here's a good way to go about it...

Do what I said, but there is one thing. You shouldn't give up the "good" food completely. Have a good burger once in a while. I say, set a schedule. Diet all week, then the 7th day, go get a burger or whatever it is you want. Just don't stuff yourself. Then you won't be torturing yourself by giving up all the stuff you enjoy, and you'll still lose the body fat that you want to get rid of.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The natural tendency in our brain is to resist when we try to limit ourselves through diet. It's all a mental thing. The minute you say "No more fast food, soda, pizza, or candy", you have just started a war within yourself that many people can not win. Yes, many do, but way more fail. The whole idea of "rewarding" yourself for eating right just doesn't work either. People will find themselves striving for a weekly chance to eat a Hershey bar, and miss the entire point about teaching yourself to properly nourish your body.

I do not diet. I do not actively restrict myself, or set days I am "allowed" to have bad food. It's just about being smart. You don't need some book to tell you that deep fried food will kill you. Take the time to care about yourself and your body, and nourish it properly. When you do so, you're going to find that you don't want candy, pizza, or junk food. On the rare occasions you do, go ahead.

-Mike

14. I call BS on this. Not towards you, Marcus, but to the website. I'm 6'2", and about 215 lbs, and am definitely NOT overweight. According to this site, I'd have to weigh 185 in order to be at the high end of normal. 6'2" and 185? Can you say "beanpole?" Yeah, there might be a little extra around the middle, but I'm in damn fine shape. At best I could lose 10 pounds. The BMI doesn't ever take into acount body design, such as size of bones and amount of muscle mass.

As for you, freshmeat, don't go with the pill. Just keep up the workout, and eat healthy. You'll loose weight fast enough.

Rock on
    Eric

15. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I didn't click on the link but I appear to be obese on many of these indexes. I have a very small frame (you judge that by looking at your wrists and ankles), and I'm 5'9. I weigh between 180-185.

I work out 2-4x wk doing weight training and cardio. I'm in very good shape with very little cushioning.

What these almost pointless indexes fail to take into account is your frame size and the fact that muscle weighs a lot more than fat. I haven't lost weight since I got back into working out. I lost fat.

These super diuretics are bad news. The basic ones will make you pee a lot. The heavier ones will give you diarrhea. Dehydration is bad for everyone, especially if you are an athlete.

If you are already working out 4-5X a week, you are doing about as much exercise as you should. Any more could over do it and lead to injury.

Eat heathier. Start a protein regimen but stay away from supplements and such. Without enough protein, you won't build as much muscle. It doesn't have to be specialty bars or shakes either. Yogurt, chicken, tuna, cottage cheese are all lowfat foods that are great sources of protein.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    You have to be REALLY careful of any of those supplements if you have medical conditions like high blood pressure.

17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It is better to get 5-6 smaller meals a day than 2-3 larger ones. It keeps your metabolism higher and in essence burns more fat throughout the day without feeling hungry.

18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    And there I was thinking it was because it contained hydroxycitric acid. (It's present in the rind of the fruit Garcinia cambogia, which is a major ingredient of Hydroxycut.)

Although there was some excitement about hydroxycitric acid as an anti-obesitiy drug as it inhibits lipogenesis, studies I've seen appear to indicate it's of little value for this purpose.

Hydroxycut has some other ingredients that include Ma Huang for ephedrine (banned in some countries, newer versions may not have this), Guarana extract for caffeine and willow bark extract for salicin. This is known as an ECA stack which is commonly used by bodybuilders to cut fat quickly.

It's also got chromium picolinate. Chromium is a trace element that's needed for insulin production (and therefore has a role in fat metabolism). Chromium picolinate is a chromium salt that is better absorbed than most others. Most people who have balanced diets do not need chromium supplements.

There's also L-Carnitine which also has a role in fat metabolism. There's some debate as to whether supplementation will aid weight loss in "normal" healthy people. Chances are it won't. It's naturally synthesised in the body.

I've little doubt that hydroxycut can aid in weight loss (because of the ECA stack), but it won't do it by itself. Body builders use this and similar products to cut weight quickly for competitions. They can only build muscle with a healthy layer of fat above it and only get the definition for competitions.

If all you need to do is lose 10 to 20 pounds, all you need to do is eat less for a couple of months. Try the GI diet.

If you're overweight and use an ECA stack without changing your eating habits, you're just going to be overweight and jittery.

19. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Man that's what I was thinking. I was a bout a Sophomore or Junior, on the wrestling team and was in the 185, 198 weight class...I was about 6 ft to 6-2, muscular and lifting and running all the time. i think you sound proprtioned to me.

As far as the pills go....FORGET IT! Like the previous posters have stated above...it isn't anything you can't lose by a lil more focus. I was into the diet pill thing a few years back. I was also stacking them with others, along with creatin, and certain vitamins and minerals that would aid in the transport process. Well one day I take the usual dosage of crap in the morning...go work out, run...take the usual afterworkout crap, then attempt to go out to eat at my favorite restaraunt with my girl. I can't even remember how many glasses of water I asked for, BEFORE the food got there! I was feeling very jittery and anxious. The food gets there, (my favorite dish), and I don't evn touch it. Eventually we leave, after some more water. By the time I get home my heart is racing yet seems to skip a beat or have an irregular pattern at times, the whole time though it felt like it was gonna jump out of my chest! So my mom comes over after calling her, (she's a retired nurse), and takes my vitals. She gets a very worried look on her face and says, "Let's go. you're going to E.R." I say nah...but only for a few more inutes, cuz when I go to stand up...I fall down dizzy. By the time we get to the hospital, they have to wheel me in, cuz I'm so dizzy. A few minutes later I felt like I couldn't get enough air...breathing very hard. Ultimately I'm hyperventalating and my fingers, hands, and arms start to twist, contort, and lock up....oh yeah, I was told I drooled a lil bit, (nice, :rollno: ). So the doctors are able to get me under control and back to a state of normal, after a few muscle relaxers.

Thats' after about 2 weeks of taking all of that junk. I was allready in good condition at the time...I just wanted that extra lil bit of edge. Not saying it could happen to you, I was taking a lot of stuff and stacking as I stated before. Just think...can you get to where you want the good ol fashion way and some patience? Then do it. You'll be more appreciative and proud of the results after.

20. I agree, Eric, one should note solely base their health on the BMI number that is produced by just plugging in height and weight, but should use their own discretion in determining if their body type matches their healthy weight.

I should've mentioned this before as well - if you are going to consider a diet and exercise routine, consult your nutritionist.