Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hyperbass + ebow

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Taylor Livingston, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    sorry if you have already answered this stuff before, but i have looked on your site, zon guitars, and this site for an explanation of the detuning system on the hyperbass... i assume the bridge detuners are like the hipshot ones i've seen, but how do the 'extender pegs' work? and could you shed some light on using the ebow? i've tried it out and couldn't really get much response... perhaps it's because of your light gauge strings (that may not make any sense, but it seemed to me that maybe the magnet isn't strong enough to move heavier strings)? are there any threads or pages that i could be directed to about these things? i'm a very new fan of yours. thanks for any help.

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks for your questions. I do think we've covered Ebow technique before on this forum. Please try a search for "Ebow" and see if that answers your questions.

The Hyperbass tuning system is in two parts. At the headstock there are Hipshot Extender keys on each of the four strings. These have been modified somewhat to allow for the room they need to operate, but other than that they are pretty much off-the-shelf. The second part of the system is a specially designed bridge that allows you to re-tune up to all four strings simultaneously. There are 3 tunings you can preset with the bridge. It's made by Zon and as far as I know isn't available for sale separately. I hope that helps!