Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hyperbass question

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by zyxwfish, Dec 15, 2002.

1. zyxwfish

zyxwfish

Dec 12, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Hey Michael that hyperbass is awsome the only thing is it's so exspensive is there anywhere to get a used one? Does a used one drop any in price? I've got so many ideas using altered tunnings and have been dying to put these ideas to use which I just can't do with a regular bass. Also another question. Do you run your bass direct in the studio or mike your amp?

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I'm glad to hear you're having fun with altered tunings!

Hyperbasses do tend to pop up on the used market from time to time. Try Bass Northwest in Seattle, or ebay. Unfortunately they seem to hold their value pretty well, so the used ones aren't usually that much cheaper.

How I record my bass depends on the context - what works for the tune. However, I seem to record direct most often.

3. matt essay

matt essay

Dec 28, 2002
    Healdsburg CA
    I found this one on e-bay a while back. It sold for around $3800 i think. I havnt seen one since

4. geez, for $3800 couldn't u just get a bass with detuners built, and have some change for a car? ;)

i heard that a lot of the hyperbasses on the market don't actually have all the detuners, they're just 'normal' 4 string fretlesses, correct me if i'm wrong

*Si*

5. zyxwfish

zyxwfish

Dec 12, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Your right I think some don't have all the de tuners. But if you have the money why not get the hyper bass with all the detuners, if you have 10 albums worth of great material that can only be played on one of these like i do.

6. shon

shon

Nov 27, 2002
    Healdsburg, CA!!
    Might I add what a great tone they have, too. I think it's well worth the 3800 bucks.

7. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    if you think that 3800 for a bass is incredibly expensive you might want to take a look at the prices of fodera.

8. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    or alembic - 9k plus for the top end models....