Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hyperbass?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by superbassman2000, Apr 2, 2004.

1. I was just reading the hyperbass genisis thread, when he talks about the hyperbass, and its altered tuning capability. this prompted me to go to the website and see just what made this bass so special with altered tunings. i am not criticizing, i am just wondering, because the other thread kind of built this bass up as a really great bass, and the website talks about the capabilities of the bass, and being a virtuoso's bass and how it is the bass for the bass player looking to go in a new direction. but nobody says how it will help someone go in a new direction for bass. so i was wondering...can anyone explain to me why this bass is so perfect for altered tunings and why its the first bass of its kind?
    now, i haven't been exposed to many zon basses, so sorry for appearing in the dark with the hyperbass.

Charlie

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The Hyper bass not only has a 3 octave neck(giving it a lot of range) but it also is equipped with 4 bass extender keys on each tuning peg. These enable michael(or whoever, but I haven't seen any other HB players, and the bass was made specifically for him)To change his tuning with the flick of a switch.

on top of that, the bridge is equipped with two levers that can also alter the tuning, I forget exactly how they work at the moment, but, combined with the extenders, they give this bass the ability to switch into any number of tunings in a manner of seconds.

On top of that, the bass has some stereo pick-up system, that gives each string it's own active pickup, or something to that effect.

And it looks really cool too :D

Word has it Michael and ZON are working on a new hyperbass, a double neck 6 string fretted/fretless This would increase the range and application immensely.

3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Sorry the descriptions on the web site aren’t that clear, Charlie. Hyperbole notwithstanding, I’d say that the Hyperbass is a kind of a dream instrument for me and I find its possibilities enormously inspiring -- YMMV. Hopefully Wrong Robot’s reply (thanks for that, WR) and mine on Hyperbass Genesis forum will help shed some light on the subject. If not, please feel free to ask more questions.

4. thanks wrongrobot and Mr.. Manring,
    i went to manthing.com and listened to Music for Armchair Funambulists and that answered my question. i also want to listen to the enormous room, since the tuning switches so much. i still can't tell exactly when the tuning is switched, but maybe thats a good thing. well, next time i hear you (manring) are coming to wisconsin, i'll come see you switch tunings!

Charlie