Hypergravity Toneprint to mimic ME-50B compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bdplaid, Feb 21, 2017.

1. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    The "natural" compressor in the Boss ME-50B is about the only comp I have ever liked, and was wondering if anyone had ever mimicked it in a TC Electronics Hypergravity or SpectraComp?

thanks!

Tigerpig likes this.
  2. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    ?

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I'd be curious too.

bdplaid likes this.
  4. Tigerpig

Tigerpig

Oct 27, 2016
    Norwich UK
    I would love to know what that natural comp actually is on the ME-50B, I've found other comps similar, but none that come very close to the sound. I'd like to see Bongo review each comp setting on the unit, just for an insight as to what's going on.

bdplaid and tfer like this.
  5. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I love his site, but I wish there was some more focus on the compressors available on the more popular multis.

bdplaid and Tigerpig like this.
  6. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    I second having Bongo review one. To my ears, the Natural setting models an optical compressor, as it's pretty gentle.

I just bought a Diamond and that thing is as awesome as Bongo and others say it is. i dial in a pretty hefty amount of compression and the low end starts to growl. But I'd still like to know what the ME50B is doing.

Tigerpig likes this.
  7. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    He does, to my recollection. I think I disagreed with his comments on the Zoom B3; there's no good comp in that thing. And really, it's a toy. I've used mine onstage and it doesn't amount to a pimple on what the ME50B can do.

The other Zoom he reviews is likewise on the money: worthless.

If you read the site closely, you'll see he has an issue with TC Electronics generally.

And for the most part i agree with what he says. No doubt, his reviews are honest.

Tigerpig likes this.
  8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I've seen a couple Zoom reviews, but I'd like to see the Boss series there as well.

Tigerpig likes this.
  9. Tigerpig

Tigerpig

Oct 27, 2016
    Norwich UK

I've tried 2 optical comps in the past and I found them to be a very different type of action, the ME Natural setting was more punchy with a bit of breakup if you chorded as I remember. The closest I've experienced is the Boss CS-2 but it's still not quite it and doesn't break up although it does 'squeeze' a chord together in a similar way.

10. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    I'll be the first to admit I'm not a comp aficionado, so it's likely my comparison of the ME's natural to an optical is very general. I like the ME's natural comp best of everything I've used, and really wish I could buy one in just a micro pedal. The ME is just so big and I don't use all it can do. Hey Josh @azureskies, can you do it? :)

Tigerpig likes this.
  11. Tigerpig

Tigerpig

Oct 27, 2016
    Norwich UK

I know what you mean, I was lugging around that multi fx for quite a while in order to just use the 1 compressor setting.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022