Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hypnosis is crazy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    no-one?

2. I once saw a guy named Fredrick Winters, and he was pretty good, I laughed a lot, and he had a cd for sale that promised to improve memory, but you had to listen to it 3 times a day for 21 days (three weeks). My friend bought it, but forgot to listen to it...

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    haha.

i love the TopGear videos.

4. I don't buy it. You can't just snap your fingers and make someone your slave.

Otherwise I'm going to kidnap Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Lopez and bring them to my house....

5. Don't hipnotists hipnotize you first and then have a trigger, like snapping their fingers?

I've never been hipnotized or seen a live hipnotist, so I'm no expert.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, the guy has been hipnotised before the show.

7. That makes more sense.

1300 posts

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    2907 :spit:

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

:bag:

I need someone to hypnotise me before I start beleiving this stuff.

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    As a guy who actually knows a little about the subject...the stuff that you see practiced as an "entertainment" is indeed BS.

It makes use of a little basic psychology in that the people "hypnotized" are not but they want to be so...they fake it.

Kind of like Kareoke.

True hypnosis is more like a sort of assisted or guided meditation state.

Self hypnosis is just another term for meditation.

11. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Yeah, it is an actual practice. It's just a different term for deep meditation. Search it on google. The one you'd see on tv, parties, etc. are just a cheap version of it, but you can go to many phycs and other doctors and get it done.

12. It's just a little mark so I remember. Can you find your 1300th post? :spit: :spit: :spit: :spit:

:D

13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    If you had actually watched the entire clip, they say that he was hypnotized before the show, the fingersnapping is a trigger.

I personally am very skeptical about hypnotism, but he was very convincing when he didn´t have a clue how to start the car.

Edit: Entertainment hypnotism is complete BS in most cases.
    There´s a hypnotist called Sailesh (google him if you want), he held a number of group hypnotize sessions here in Iceland which came out on dvd.
    Apparantly by minimal hypnotism people start in sexual acts with chairs etc. I´ve seen clips of it and IMHO it´s pure and utter scheise. Nothing but a bunch of people faking it because of peer pressure or something.

14. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    The mind is a powerful thing - never underestimate it.

I have to say, I believe that the stereotypical hypnotist image is bullcrap - the whole, "when I snap my fingers, you will be a chicken" thing... it doesn't work. However, there was an interesting program on the television over here in the UK a couple of weeks ago where the idea to rob a van was subtely inserted into the heads of some people who were denoted to be weak-willed enough... And it had some element of success...

Of course though, I can only speak from first hand about when my cousin did his medicine exam on hypnotism, I was his "guinea pig" for that - and though I was still conscious and everything, after a while, my limbs began feeling sort of tingly, and for hours afterwards I felt relaxed. This is a much more practical use of hypnotherapy.
    My dad however, (one of the best psychiatrists in the country) thinks it's all rubbish. I guess it's all subject to opinion.

15. Chris M

Chris M

Oct 23, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Real or not, it was funny watching him try to remember how to drive a car...

16. i think that hypnosis is real, but not in the way that people think. My roommate was hypnotzed for one of those comedy hypnotizers (when i snap my fingers, you will think that you haven't got any pants *snap*) and he says you don't black out or anything, but he said that you just don't feel embarassed to do it...I'm sure a lot of people have been to that state of sleepiness where you are half awake and half dreaming that it all makes sense. a lot of sleepwalkers are like that...i've done it a few times, such as when i was younger i walked into my sister's room looking for the motor for my remote control airplane. The thing is, i don't have a remote control airplane...now thats not something that i would normally do, but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time...thats what i see to be the hypnotized state...