Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hypothetical fantasy question

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Ok, so at some point in your bands career, you get offered an endorsement deal.

I know some of the folk around here have already dealt with this question, so hopefully their input will add to the discussion.

Personally, I would love to get an endorsement deal from the companies that make the equipment I already use, or like.

But how bout if Behringer or Wishbass etc wanted to endorse you??

Would you guys put away your Stingray5 to play a Peavey Cirrus?

Or would you relegate your Eden to play through an EA?

Just for the endorsement?

Discuss.

2. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    I would do what a lot of people do I suppose.

Rip out the guts of the amp that the I have the endorsement deal with and put the guts of my old amp in. So pretty much just the face and the grill are the same.

Guitar?

Not happening.

3. Yeah, sorta me too.

I love my gear too much to abandon it in favour of the endorsement.

Still, if someone was willing to make a Petey Signature model, then..... :D

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    If it meant the difference between my wife and kids eating or not eating? That Stingray is in the closet the day the Peavey arrives. If it meant the difference between me driving a Subaru and a Porsche? That's a tougher call, but I like my Subaru a whole lot. :)

There's more to your question than just "would you do it?" There is sacrifice involved with giving up a day job for music and to some people, endorsement deals are a part of that.

Personally, I would stay away from them as long as possible. Not because of being locked into/out of a certain brand of gear, but because I hate the idea that the gear is more important than the music and I hate the idea of anyone spending a ton of money on something just because they liked a song I played on.

If Mozart didn't have an endorsement, why should I?

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd love an endorsement with a company I liked. I'd never play gear that didn't cut it for me just because it was free. If it doesn't work for what I want to do what's the point of having it?

6. I'm too honest, too particular about my tone. I wouldn't take an endorsement deal for stuff I didn't want to play. Rather pay for stuff i like. I would try it, but if I couldn't get the sound I liked, I'd say forget it.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be the "best" sound, but if it sounded good enough, I'd go for it. Say I like the sound of Eden, but liked my EA better, I'd take the Eden if it was acceptable.

Randy

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    As long as it was just for live work and it was a company I at least liked.

Id use a pre-preamp DI live and use the money I saved to buy a rig to record.

Why not? Id get a free stage monitor. :)