1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hypothetical Market Question: Would you buy this if it existed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Yes, I would definitely consider this unit

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. No, I wouldn't even consider this unit

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. I am intensely offended by this thread, commence flame!

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Please take a Moment to review at least the first few pages of THIS THREAD

This cabinet now has about 150-175 hours on it at medium to high volume and has proven itself totally roadworthy in my experience. The configuration is 3-Way, two high-excursion 12" subwoofers, one 6.5" midrange driver, Selenium Tweeter.

Now, for those of you who read the entire thread, this question will come as no surprise, and the question itself requires a preposition; Please imagine if you will, this cabinet as an ACTIVE, DSP-Equipped enclosure. Two different amplifiers, one powering the 12's, the other powering the midrange and tweeter. Parallel Neutrik "2 in 1" connectors, Transformer-Balanced XLR DI out, DSP-Controlled crossovers, Hi-Pass (rumble filter), limiting and enclosure-tuned EQ. Active input sensitivity for line or instrument-direct input. Total output power roughly ~1,350W. Total Weight: 65lbs. Includes Padded cover. Retail Cost (Street Price): $1,499.99

DI out from your favorite amplifier, Main out from your favorite preamp, or plug your favorite bass right in.

Given all this.... would YOU buy it? Please Vote in the Poll and explain your answer!

More pics HERE

2. subbasshz

subbasshz

Aug 11, 2012
    phoenix az
    Im addicted to punishing volume.
    I hate to be the first no vote, but take it with a grain of salt. Im a young guy with old tube amps, period correct cabs, and old bass guitars. I was born in the wrong decade my friend.

3. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Sounds like a six space rack inside a speaker cab. I don't think I'd want to lift it.

That said, the price isn't far off for what it does. But, like most things gear related, it's all going to depend on the execution......and you've got a lot to execute there.

4. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    Have to vote no, personally. A little too big for an all-in-one setup. Although the price seems solid for what's offered and if it can run off standard line-level signals, that would put it ahead of GK's new offerings.

Since everything is packed together, it's not a viable option for when you want to go smaller (i.e. practicing). Since you'd likely use this with just a preamp, anyone wanting to practice with the same sound that they perform with, would need to find another smaller powered solution.

Don't quite understand the Neutriks, unless you're implying this thing could also power external passive cabs on the side, although you risk opening a can of worms where impedences are concerned, to say nothing of the fact that the cab itself is biamped.

5. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It has wheels and an extendable handle -- what's not to like!?!?

I don't really understand all the things that go into it, but if it gave the sound I wanted, then yes I would consider it.

6. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, I'd vote no too, but that's just because I'm more into my gargantuan old valve amps. If I was into the whole smaller, light(er)weight thing, I think this would be a pretty cool cab to have. What type of power amps would you be using inside the cab, class D? Either way, I might not be the person this would be marketed at, but still, pretty cool idea.

7. [QUOTE="Q";13031032]Sounds like a six space rack inside a speaker cab. I don't think I'd want to lift it.

That said, the price isn't far off for what it does. But, like most things gear related, it's all going to depend on the execution......and you've got a lot to execute there.[/QUOTE]

+1

If the weight is kept down, and the internal amp and DSP are well executed it could be really cool.

that said its all in the implementation.

8. Seems cool to me. What's it weigh? I'd figure having all the filters DSP lightens it up a bit.

9. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    From the other thread: "Weight is roughly 65-68lbs"

10. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Like a bergie IP cab? I always thought they were pretty cool.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

No, I wouldn't. As others have stated I imagine it weighs quite a bit, I also do not see 2 12"s and a mid range keeping up with 2 4x12 guitar stacks and a loud drummer. If I wanted an extension cab I'd get another cab not another combo.

Not a bad idea, but not for me.

12. I expect this particular to perform as well or better than an 810 as far as SPL is concerned. :smug:

13. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Weight would come in at roughly 65lbs TOTAL. Lighter than most commercial 410's. Lightweight Class-D / SMPS digital power amp. DSP chipset is integral and weighs less than an ounce.

Better. Same concept, measuring the cabinet's response in the chamber and using the DSP to achieve a relatively flat response and engineering the cabinet to the driver's etc.... but in a 3-Way configuration (IP-Series was 2-way) and using drivers capable of much higher XMAX and overall SPL.

For those nervous about wanting to go smaller.... there are very few "Combo" amps with greater than a single 12" or 10" that will weigh appreciably less than this unit. On the other end of the spectrum... if there is any other single cabinet solution that thinks it can get Louder than this cab.... I'd like to hear about it....:cool:

14. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    Well, I've heard of a single cab with 15" versions of those same two woofers, and two mids instead of one.

It gets louder, I bet. :D

15. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    My cab is very similar. It doesn't keep up with them. It is a beast that has to be restrained from devouring them all whole, along with anything else unlucky enough to wander into the same room. It will, if you let it. Thank goodness for volume knobs.

I hope by "2 4x12 guitar stacks" you mean a total of 4 4x12 cabs, with at least 100W tube heads otop each pair. Playing hard rock/metal. Because that is what I mean. And occasionally getting asked to turn down, because it is so darn easy to overwhelm everything else. Even outdoors.

So don't worry about that, it'll hang just fine.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Duke once said a cab with two 3012lf's would roughly be equivalent to a 710 in air movement. I don't know...I like the two 3012's and single mid driver, but I'd be more likely to buy that or any bass cab without a built in power amp. I like amp freedom.

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Me too. Power is cheaper and lighter than ever. Why be married to the power in your cab? If the power or the cab breaks both are now implicated. I'd rather have a simple LDS or fEARful or Barefaced super 212 and choose my own power source.

18. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    It seems that to make it a true combo, it needs a preamp as well. If i have to bring a preamp, I mightas well bring a Streamliner or Shuttle, they don't weigh any more.
    Also, the stated weight goal seems optimistic. A typical Baltic Birch 1212/6/1 with 3012LF's and tiltback wheels and handles weighs about 70lbs. If you use exotic lightweight woods, and use proprietary light weight electronics, it might be attainable, but i think it would be a challenge to meet the price point. Having said that, if it had a preamp, and met the other goals, I'd consider it if I needed a cab of that capability.

19. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    Owning and playing one, as well as being familiar with the numbers, I'd say that's a fair assessment.

Going by pure Vd, the 12's are 988cc and 6 Legend B810s add up to 991cc. Then consider differences... ported or sealed, separate mid vs all full range, frequency response (the hump & rolloff of of many 810s vs the flatter lower 3-way). Also not all 810s are loaded with equivalents of those Legends.

Generally speaking, I think it spanks any 4x10 silly. And it seems louder than most 6x10s I've heard. On paper it falls shy of a good 8x10. I haven't tried to host a volume war with any of my 810 packing buddies, so I have to assume it would hold true. (With any differences showing up at SPLs high enough for it to not matter much.)

So yeah, 710 sounds more or less on the money to me.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    +1 to that. I prefer modular cabs as well.