Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hypothetical Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mud Flaps, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Would it be possible to build a bass with an MM pickup in the bridge position, and a G&L pickup in the neck position and still have room to slap? Also, would it still be possible to rig these two pickups together well, make them blend, perhaps have a pan knob, etc?

2. I think your answer can be found by looking at some other basses - What about the G&L dual pup basses? The Bongo has 2 mm's too. Even a lowly Rogue 400 Pro has 2 mm's.

Pretty much a cinch that you'll be able to "slap"

As for the blend - sure that can be done. However, if it's a passive setup and you are using a simple blend pot, you might see a bit of signal loss at the very center of the blend sweep. It isn't necessarily bad, it just takes some getting used to. I did this to my latest build and that's how it turned out.

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm not looking for 2 mm's though. I like the sound of slapping on G&L p/ups, which have the two rows of coils closer together than a MM p/up. I know its a tiny difference, but I don't want another huge MM pickup in the bridge position.