1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hypothetically, if your child was murdered...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hypothetically, if your child was murdered by your other child in cold blood, would you support the death pealty for the child who committed the murder?

Would your answer be different if it was someone else's child who murdered your child in cold blood?

2. Depends upon age and circumstances.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Premeditated murder by a child who would be eligible to receive the death penalty.

4. As a supporter of the death penalty for heinous crimes, I would have to say "yes" if death penalty conditions were met, as it would be hypocritical to state otherwise. This, of course, is a situation I would not wish upon any parent.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Obviously the situation is hypothetical, but are you saying "yes" in order to avoid being hypocritical, or because you actually believe that, in the situation, you would support the death penalty?

6. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    I don't know, but I certainly would never look at that child the same way again.

7. Can of worms being opened here, as there are myriad complexities that can be injected into a hypothetical situation.

As an example, let's say I have a 17 year-old who has been in and out of juvenile detention for robbery, theft, assault, etc. This 17 year-old brutally murders and sexually assaults my 9 year old. Yep... Death Penalty.

If, on the other hand, my 9 year-old stabs my 17 year-old in the back because said 17 year-old wouldn't let the 9 year-old play X-Box a couple of hours earlier, well... that's a different set of conditions altogether.

As I said in an earlier post, I would hope that a family never has to deal with this kind of thing.

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think the hypothetical is being over complicated in your example. The latter example you have given is not one where the death penalty could clearly be applied.

I guess to make it absolutely clear, I am talking about a case where there is absolutely no doubt that the death penalty could, as a matter of law, be imposed for the murder of one of your children. The question is whether you would support it being imposed on:

a) your own child; and

b) someone else's child.

9. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Good topic Mark.

I say different parameters for minors, and I don't really know what they would be.

For adults, fry them. Deep fry them. No remorse. There are more than enough people to go around. Hopefully it provides some sort of incentive to think twice about your actions. I would go along with consideration for premeditated vs.. otherwise.

Good topic. I don't have my heels dug on my position. It's definitely worthy of debate as evidenced by it being an ongoin controversy in many jurisdictions.

(Just got an image of the stoning scene in The Life of Brian. :D )

10. Under those conditions...

a) Yes.

b) Yes.

Of course, b) would be MUCH easier to deal with, as it would require much less self-examination.

Mark... does this have something to do with your job?

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No. It was based on a discussion I heard on a podcast this morning which was mostly unrelated but raised the thought in my mind.

For what its worth I would answer "no" in both cases because I don't believe in a state imposed death penalty unless the convict elects for it (that's for another thread). However, in theory, I could see why you might want to have different (and inconsistent) answers.

12. I can understand why people would answer differently for the two cases as well. Why we differ in opinion with regard to the fundamental concept of a state-imposed death penalty could be hashed out for weeks with no resolution.

13. Bearing in mind I am not in the situation, no I would not.

Bearing in mind I am not in the situation, no I would not.

That might all change should it happen of course.

14. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    MY CHILD!?!?!?!?!

I would carry it out my friggen self.

15. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    There we go.

Big +1.

16. Someones been watching CSI Las Vegas :D

The offending sibling will spend the rest of his/her life institutionalized. End of story. Not much input needed from the parental units :)

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    In both cases?

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Sorry, I don't watch those shows. I used to like law and order, when there was one of them!

Its a hypothetical question so you can ignore what would happen in reality.

19. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    yes, i would ask for the death penalty, child or not. i may not follow thru on it, but i'd definitely advocate for it initially.

and yes, i totally own my hypocrisy.

20. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I don't support the death penalty so I would say no to both cases.