Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hyrbrid vs. Laminated

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jazzbo, May 31, 2001.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I did a search for this but didn't come up with any answers. I'm looking at two Strunals right now, one is hybrid, the other plywood. I'm going to set up an appointment to play them, but I wanted to know what the differences were between the two, (sound, durability, playability, etc.).

Thank you.

PS. And I don't mean construction wise, because that part I know.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Jazzbo, I can give you some direct information here. I have a laminated Strunal (50/4), and my teacher has another student with a hybrid Strunal. She's played both basses and her feelings are that the solid top didn't make that much difference. Of course, she's got a really nice carved bass and may not care for the sound of plywood in any form. She did add a caveat that she thought that the hybrid bass's tone would develop more over time, whereas my plywood will get to a certain state and pretty much stay the same. One other comment she made was that the Strunals she's seen seem to her to be some of the best laminated basses she's seen.

Just for info, she's primarily a symphonic player. That may give you an idea of where her head's at.

3. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Mine has ebony fingerboard and fittings, as does the hybrid she told me about. I think I'm going to find out who owns that hybrid in town and see if I can't get together with them to compare myself. As I stated in other threads, I don't feel like I'm getting all the volume I should out of my bass. I've played other laminated basses recently that seemed much louder. I realize my technique probably has something to do with it, but I don't think that's the whole story. I'm almost sure my soundpost is too tight...I'm trying to get up to Atlanta to see a luthier about it.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    FYI: The position of the sound post in relationship to the bridge foot also plays a factor in the sound projected as well.

5. You want to talk tight sound post, my DB was shipped across the USA with loose strings and it didn't fall. Even better, now that I put some "real strings" on it I now have a spider crack in the finish on the back from the tension. Hopefully the post will blow through the back soon so I can buy a higher quality DB.

:D

6. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    That's exactly why I think mine is too tight. It was shipped to me from NJ (and possibly all the way from the Czech Republic) with the bridge off, and the soundpost stayed put. Every other bassist I've met whose upright had a good volume said that their post would almost fall with the strings loose. Mine seems to be in the correct position, based on what I've read.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Incidentally, here's a link to the two basses I'm talking about:

http://www.stringbassshop.com/MP_New_Basses.html

Thanks for all the great info so far. As far as I understand it, the luthier already has many of his basses setup, but as I understand their are still individual modifications that should be done, right? Also, it seems that the hybrid, from what I'm hearing, is going to have a fuller sound that grows more with time? I'm getting the idea that even with a good setup, the hybrid will still have a fuller sound.

Also, the laminated does have an ebony fingerboard. The only difference seems to be a laminated top instead of a carved spruce top.