Hz? What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TJmccreedy2183, Mar 6, 2006.

1. TJmccreedy2183

Mar 2, 2006
    I was wondering what this was. If a cab says that the usable low frequency is -35Hz and another cab says it's usuable low frequency is -33Hz does that mean that the -33Hz can hold lower notes and frequency's?
  2. Hz is the measurement for frequency. Ie. your low B on a 5 string is 31Hz and yes, that means a cab that goes down to 33Hz holds lower notes, but there is alot more involved that just the frequency response in a cab's note reproduction...
  3. TJmccreedy2183

Mar 2, 2006
    hmmmm.....that helps alot.. thanks i didn't know it there was a lot more than just buying an amp.
  4. TJmccreedy2183

Mar 2, 2006
    and also i was wondering you know how two 4ohm cabs go down to 2ohm and two 8ohm cabs go to down to 4 ohm, and a 4ohm and an 8ohm go to 2.6ohms is this when you run them in seperate speaker outputs of your amp or is this when you daisy chain them up together? it's because i got a SWR 550X and it's recommended lowest ohms is 4ohms and i didn't want to mess up anything being that i just bought that amp two days ago. Any Help will be awesome?
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Either way the result is the same, unless you have a stereo amp/dual power amps.
  6. yeah, if you daisy them or use separate outputs, the resulting load is the same if it is a mono amp
  7. This happens when you connect the cabs in paralell which also includes when daisy chain them. 1/R=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3...

So for example your amp can support 2 cabs of 8 Ohms each, or 1 cab of 4 Ohms.... Hope I helped