1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I’m new to Epi Thunderbird IV, so what strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ejaggers, Apr 11, 2010.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I have the following strings:
    • roto swing 66 (15 yrs old but pack unopened)
    • ghs fatties
    • dr lo riders
    • fender 7250ML

Which of these strings would you use on a tbird? If none of the above, then what?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Personal preference, but if you change the gauge of what's on it now, you'll most likely need a set up.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The rotosounds are probably past dead by now even unused. GHS fatties sound like heavy gauge strings which I wont use on anything. Reg GHS boomers are nice though. Myself I dont like DR strings. So that leaves the fenders if I had to pick from those 4.

4. is there any certain tone your looking for? do you like bright strings? or do you like flatwounds or dead thumpy strings like everyone else? i used to have an epi bird, and i prefered ernie ball strings on it. the only brand of strings i've tried from the ones you've listed are rotos, which are also good for the bird... but you might wanna do yourself a favor and buy a brand new pack

:rolleyes:

5. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    D'Addario EPS-170's.

6. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    darkstorm, Yeah, I was wondering if the roto's are too old to use. What is it about DR strings you don't like?

infamusblkdeath, I play R&B, classic rock, and blues. Thanks for the Ernie Ball tip, I'll look into these. I've heard these are nice.

lowendblues, Thanks for your tip also. What do you like about D'Addario EPS-170's?

7. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I personally like DR Black Beauties on my Gibson birds. Not only do they look good - the tone is perfect. Even though they are a coated string and marketed as staying brighter longer, I find them to be very warm and dark sounding.

8. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Thanks, stiles72 I'll look into these.

Sounds like they would look cool with the rest of the black H/W. I was wondering where the bird owners are. Are there any more Tbird players out there? Tap...Tap...Tap..., Is this thing on???.......Tap...Tap...Tap

9. +1 DR Black Beauties
    Look awesome and sound great!