Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I’ve had it with you 6+ string guys!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pointbass, Jan 13, 2005.

1. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Just when I thought my GAS had settled, I had to start reading all of this stuff about “6-string this” and 6 string that” on this forum. I was perfectly happy with my stock Fender/Ibanez stuff, then you guys had to go start talking about 6-strings!! :spit:

So, I think to myself, “hey, go cheap and give Rondo a try”, but noooooo, I had to do some comparison shopping. So now I’m trying all kinds of stock 6ers and getting all pumped up about 6 strings. :cool: But I get my self under control and buy a Brice Z6 neck-through. Yeah, that’s right, I do have self control … no $4000 basses for me!! Then I start playing the thing all of the time, and loving not only the bass itself, but the whole 6 string concept!! I haven’t picked up or played a 4 or 5 in almost 30 days!!!

Then, it starts!! Thread about Jerzy Drozd!!! D*mn you, John Turner!! :scowl: and you, too, Mark Beem!!! oh yeah, and you, too, Bernie Connors!!!! and all you others 6+ers, too!!!!! And you, too, Jerzy Drozd!!!!! OMG, now I have to explain to my wife, my incredibly understanding and supportive wife, why the new bass I just bought isn’t good enough and why I REALLY, REALLY NEED a custom bass made by some guy in Spain!!!!!!

The following individuals are directly responsible for the destroying my otherwise nicely structured life, and some day you will all be forced to explain yourselves when you arrive at the pearly gates:
    John Turner
    Mark Beem
    Bernie Connors
    Jerzy Drozd
    Brad Johnson
    Ken Bebensee
    Bill Conklin

(I reserve the right to add to this list in the future!)
    edit: and these guys, too:
    Ken Lawrence
    Michael Tobias
    Dan Lakin

(still reserving the right to add to this list...)

So, now let me have what I need so bad! I need pictures of 6+ers to feed this growing hunger, and I know you guys have ‘em. I know there are many of you lurking in the darkness that can post up some pics … why are you deliberately withholding them from me??? Is this a plot by Jerzy Drozd??? :eek: I think he’s trying to force me to buy this ……

2. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    If only every bass maker had such powerful Jedi mind tricks. :)

3. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    That is one gorgeous bass though.

4. I thought I was going to come into this thread P.O like "another anti 6 thread"... now I am just laughing.

Thankfully I live in a place where the best basses in the store are Fender knock offs and the only thing I GAS for there is a 6 space rack case. (unlike where I used to live where I would go in and drool and come out with a warwick thumb, AMPEG SVT4-PRO and 8-10 all in one day). Man... if only I had the money now and knew more about basses... I'd have such better gear (though for low end... mine ain't bad)

5. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    I feel your pain pointbass. I had finally made my decision to invest in a 6-string, and after rambling around this site for quite a bit, reading posts from the same cast of characters that you refer to, I now find myself putting in an order for an 8-string Conklin.

Haven't figured out how to explain this to the lady at home yet, but luckily I have quite a bit of time before the bass is done...so I'll just have to be creative.

Good Luck to ya!

Mikey/

6. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    It's good to see Point Pleasant is back to being a hotbed of crazy. I haven't heard such a brilliant rant since my dad left there - he thought I was out of my mind for paying $300 for a used Rick back in 1982.

I may have to show this to my own IUAS wife, just to add another 4-string to the home.

You've made all bassists from NJ proud today. At least this one, anyway.

7. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    HILARIOUS.

8. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
    here, let me help

OOPS

[​IMG]

9. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yeah, now we're talking!!! Come on, keep 'em coming, don't stop there!!! Oh yeah, baby ... :D

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    YOU'RE WELCOME!!! :D

[​IMG]
    Go to the Conklin wesite and look at the Cherished Challenges for March and October to learn more about these basses..

[​IMG]
    One similar to this is being built for me now by Chris Stambaugh. Here are the specs:

Single-cut 8 string bass
    Neck through construction
    Purpleheart / maple neck
    34" scale
    9mm spacing cen. to cen. @ nut
    17mm spacing @ bridge
    Black hardware
    Ash body
    Individual string saddles
    Aero pickups
    24 frets
    Wenge fretboard, no inlay
    Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    Urethane finish
    Passive electronics

Chris and I are still talking top woods.. I'd love to find some chestnut or light buckeye a-la Fodera.. It'll also have a matching headstock cap.

And lastly:

[​IMG]
    Peavey Cirrus 6

[​IMG]
    Warwick Thumb B.O. 6

[​IMG]
    My old 7 hollowbody.

Let me know how I might corrupt you more.. T'would be my pleasure!!

:D

11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Here', I'll throw one on the fire (not literally)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That's an INCREDIBLE bass!!!

[​IMG]

13. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    That's the new Spector? Oh man, congrats!!!

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

15. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yeah, it sure is ...... I'm not usually swayed by a lot of the boutique basses, but man, than thing is nice!!!

Your red Conklin is also smokin' ........

16. %^$&# ^$%%#$ % ^%$^$#!!!!!

where do you people get all the money to buy these beauties? :crying:

:p

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    We'd tell you but then we'd have to kill you..

;)

18. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    How is the Z bass?
    I'm kind of considering getting one myself you see.

19. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I'll join the 6 strings party too :smug:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] :D