Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I´m in love, Lakland 55-94!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BOOTZY, Jul 27, 2004.

1. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden
    Hi!

I´ve owned my new Lakland D55-94 ( Amber/Maple ) for 2 weeks now. What a amazing bass!

I´ve owned some "good" basses in the past ( Modulus, Warwicks, CS Fenders, Peavey Cirrus + lots more...) and still do. But this bass is without a doubt the best i ever layed my hands on. It´s all there: it plays awsome, sounds fantastic and looks simply stunning! And that B string is the best i´ve heard.

I know this may sound like review on the "Bass Gear Review Page" there almost everything scores 100% all the time...But this bass does that for me. Maybe it´s that simple that i´ve finally have found "my" bass.

Any suggestions on strings for it? The Lakland strings it came with...i´m sure a lot of people like them, but i think they were both "stiff" and lost their tone quickly. Maybe Lakland nickels are less "rough" on the fingers and a little warmer sounding?
    I´ve DR Hi-Beams on it now and that made a big difference.

Thanks,
    Bootzy

2. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    May I Suggest DR Low-Riders

3. I used Lakland Nickels on the 55-94 I had (still in my picture) and they sounded the best to me. The nickels tamed the maple neck down some and were much easier on the frets. TI makes great strings too, I like the Power Bass and on my Lakland 4-94 which I still have, I used DR Sumbeams which were great. I now have flats on my 4-94 and it's pretty darn cool. If you want a great and beautiful 4-94 to go with your 55-94 shoot me an email.

4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Congratulations Bootzy for finding out what quite a few of us already know, my Standard 55-94 is simply the best fretted bass I've ever played or owned. You can save yourself alot of time and money by just playing it until your mojo is worn into it.

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i concur...
    love the laklands, and i miss the ones i have owned... so much i ordered a trans white 55-94 with birdseye board and not face dots, due in Sept.. can't wait !

6. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden
    That combination is a killer, i was about to put a similar 55-94 on order but i just didn´t wanna wait a day longer...

Trans white with the birdseye board and without the dots should look really clean. I dont think i have ever seen a maple board Lakland without dots...That´s a great idea, it will look great.

Is that clean maple board a little F Bass inspired ;) ?

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I know it's just a cheap Skyline, but I love my 55-01 cherryburst. Such a comfortable bass, plays so great, and sounds even better. I had some dead rounds on it, and I loved the sound. I've got some new Lo-Riders on it, and it is really punchy and hi-fi. Next set that is going on will be some flats...

Peace,
    Scott D.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    LOL! seems that everyone notices some kind of F bass influence in what i do since i am such a fan .... maybe i should get on George's payroll!
    but the fact is , i have always preferred birdseye maple ( or some kinda maple on my boards) and also , i prefer the look of an inmarked board, the only kinds of fret markers i really dig are block inlays on a jazz bass, other than that, i have always kinda hated dots on the board...
    i thought about making it a Joe Osborn Jazz, but i really dig the versatility of the preamp and especially the pickup selection on the 55-94's ---- so this time it was not F inspired,... ;)

9. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Can we see some pics?

:hyper:

10. BOOTZY

BOOTZY

Mar 4, 2004
    Amal, Sweden

The picture lies a little, it isn´t that red/orange and the board shows a lot more "eyes" and "flames" in reality.

11. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    DR LO RIDERS STAINLESS STEEL ON MY 4-94 DELUXE BRO

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm with you Adrian, I like the undotted board too. I was too impatient when I got my Standard 55-94 last year, just took one that was THERE (Trans Blue/Birdseye Maple). One of the other guys at the shop, Perry, ordered a Deluxe Tealburst with the undotted maple board, and it's STUNNING. Made me jealous, and made me wish I'd been more patient!!!! Looks AWESOME. He also got the Duncan pickups, and for the rock stuff, those things rule.....hmm.....

:)

13. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I love my Lakland as well, congrats. I am still experimenting with strings, I ended up going back to the Lakland strings. They are specially designed for the bass and sound great for the price. I have the nickel strings on at the moment and concur with the fact that they tame the maple neck quite a bit, they definetly add more mids.