I´m not having enough patience to do technique lately

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jjqq123, Jul 12, 2020.

1. jjqq123

jjqq123

Aug 16, 2017
    Long tones, vomit, string crossings, classical etudes, etc.

I´m just learning tunes and and playing along recordings. And I don´t do it that much.

I´m really having a hard time focusing on the small things.

How do you find patience to do technique?

Jmilitsc and Quinn Roberts like this.
  2. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    I take one thing only and work on it for 25 minutes then a five minute break. Then I'll do something else in the next 25 segment but I find setting a timer, and having my phone no where near me allows me to dig into stuff. And doing only one thing means I'm able to detect instantly if I start drifting.

M0ses, Chris Fitzgerald and jjqq123 like this.
  3. Maybe doing tunes that have elements of technique you want to improve will provide some motivation.
    I’ve always preferred exercise with a purpose, i.e. gardening rather than a trip to the gym. I’m also a guy who likes to learn a tune a day, even, and often, if it’s just the melody and changes.

I think in these times it’s especially important to enjoy the joy these big fellas put out.

jjqq123 likes this.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I view my daily technique practice (24 minutes, 4 keys @ 6 minutes ea., 6 days a week) like a daily meditation. I tell myself that if after doing this meditation I feel like working on other things or playing more, I can do that. If not, same. It's been working out so far, and I don't feel guilty at the end of any day no matter what the result was.

BrotherMister, M0ses, marcox and 3 others like this.
  5. Jmilitsc

Jmilitsc Gold Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Fairfield County, CT
    At the beginning of lockdown i don’t think i touched the bass for a month or so, then could only summon patience and energy to learn a few new melodies, then lost all enthusiasm for that, and now I’m on to thumb position type technique work cuz that’s a major weakness of mine. It has my interest for now at least. But just in general it’s really hard to focus on the thinking part of music for me. Guitarist in my band has been the main motivator for me, pushing to develop some arrangements of tunes and medleys and such. Oddly it’s inspired me to make Jamulus work for us to be able to play in real time together remotely. Somehow my stupid brain has capacity to think about that but not harmony! I don’t get it. But that part has been a blast, hope to post about it someday. It’s making me hopeful.

But as Chris said (and thank you for putting words to it) I don’t feel guilty about it each day either way it goes. Lame, but not guilty. :). Just trying to let myself be OK with doing something/anything music-related on a regular basis. Like reading TB posts about practice routines. Sigh.

jjqq123 and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  6. jjqq123

jjqq123

Aug 16, 2017
    Maybe I´m stressing too much.. I just began lessons with a classical teacher and my technique is beeing questioned in every move I make...

And there is the phrase everybody says to me: "attention to detail", which I understand but I seem not to like too much doing.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I just had this conversation with a friend yesterday. He hasn't been practicing because he only likes to play (his resume includes touring/recording with iconic figures in the jazz world for decades), and I haven't been playing because I like to practice and don't feel like playing is safe at this time. When he asked me what it is about practicing that I like well enough to keep doing it, I told him that the version of the scale/etude/melody/line/tune/etc. in my head is more beautiful/pleasing than what's coming out of my bass, so practicing is a way to gradually narrow the gap. It's almost always baby steps, but experience tells me that all steps add up to getting closer to where you're trying to get.

@jjqq123 the question I would ask you is along the same lines: do you have clear short and medium term goals for improvement? When I have these, things tend to go OK. When I don't, not so much. They can be little things, too, like "get better stops in the left hand" or "pull a consistent sound with the right hand/bow, etc." Any progress is good progress in my book.

BrotherMister, AGCurry and jjqq123 like this.
  8. jjqq123

jjqq123

Aug 16, 2017
    I need to think about this (and learn from a person that enjoys practising)

I just try to do things that I think are productive for my playing. No long /medium term clear goals... Maybe it´s time to think about them. Thanks Chris

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  9. s van order

s van order

Oct 4, 2012
    Delaware
    +1 on narrowing the gap between what is in the head and heard by the ears. That’s a core motivation to practice for me. And for me the gap really does narrow over time with thoughtful and consistent practice guided by a fine teacher. But I am sure the gap will never close, haha, as my listening ability to my playing becomes more acute as I practice over time.

AGCurry, jjqq123 and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  10. Jim Dedrick

Jim Dedrick Jim Dedrick Gold Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Port Deposit, MD
    I find this that there is not enough time to work on all the things I want to accomplish. So... I made a list of all those items, etudes, scales, compositions, memorizing pieces, playing heads, ear training, Latin styles, metric modulations... then I spaced those items out over a week giving myself a period of time and frequency to each. Put it in a chart above my music stand. Now, when I practice, after warm ups, I avoid the things I want to do and save them for the end. I am rotating through all the items I want to focus on and because I save my favorites for last I find that I am accomplishing much more.

11. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I do technique first in my practice sessions to get it out of the way. After that i focus on playing actual music. Doesn't have to be a long block..15-30 mins will do. Generally i find technical practice relaxing and a good way to clear the mind and focus on the present. I also enjoy seeing the progress from it.

My high level practice routine:

1st(15-30 mins): Technical Exercises(scales, arpeggios, isolation exercises, arco long tones, etc)
    2nd(15-30 mins): Technical Work via a piece of music(using a piece of music or etude to work on musical concepts, like close fingering/voice leading, Ed Fuqua's REALLY learning a tune exercise)
    3rd(for as long as i want to, usually longest section since it is fun): Forget it all and just play music(playing along with recordings, playing tunes solo, composing original ideas)

Each of these stages can be tailored to improve what you suck at, reviewing worthwhile fundamentals, or just to be plain old fun.

Chris Fitzgerald and jjqq123 like this.
  12. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Practicing is more fun and cheaper on average than gigging... But, I’ve done a lot of gigs...

But I know I’ll always break even practicing... imo

13. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    This is it! Even in your worst shedding days I keep reminding myself of this.

Chris Fitzgerald and jjqq123 like this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021