Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I´m Starting my First bass Project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hellbastard, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Hello everybody, I´m a guy from Colombia (South America) who saw a lot of pictures and projects from people in this forum, And I thought that building a bass would be a nice project, So I decided to try and make my own. Here is the design I have in mind, I draw it after a lot of fighting with Autocad."$%&)=/)U=*
    I have already bought 2 books from amazon, and looked for what types of wood are sell here in my city (Actually I found very nice and exotic woods, also very affordable Among them I Found purple heart, cocobolo, blood wood...)
    Can you please give me some advice? What do you think of My design, and all kind of commentaries are welcome.
    :hyper: :bassist:

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

that design looks very good! :)

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Looks like a nice start.

That ACAD command tool is a pain, isn't it?

Looks like your headstock is very long between the nut and the nearest tuners.

4. Yes it really is, but I have managed to use it.
    I wish there was a easier program to do this kind of things. But you can have too much of a good thing, do you?

:bassist:

5. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Try Qcad, it's free but not bad at all:)

6. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I use Powerpoint! It's actually quite simple, and it looks nice. Draw your bass to scale on a piece of paper and scan it onto your computer. Paste it in Powerpoint and trace all the lines, making sure to mark all of your reference points (centerline, nut, bridge, 12th fret). Then you can polish'er up and fill it in with whatever color/texture you choose! I think it's an ingenious idea. The only downfall is that you can only measure from your marked references.

-Josh

PS. Good luck with the project. Looks neat!

7. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I think that the point of it would stab me in the armpit, but if you're ok to deal with that, so be it. ^_^

Also as someone said above, make sure your tuners dont' get too far away from the nut on the headstock.

Other than that, it's a pretty cool design.

8. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Consider making the headstock a bit wider to allow a straighter string "path" from the nut to the tuner. With the design you've got there, you E and G straings will be going off at pretty sharp angles, which isn't a good thing for keeping things in tune.

Sharp looking bass though... :)

9. I really appreciate all of your commentaries. I have read a lot of commentaries about the headstock ( which I want to look like a snake shape), And I know I have to correct the thing you said, I have to say that the draw it´s just a first skecth of what I want to do. I haven´t received th e books I order from amazon, so I don´t really know how to measure the string spacing, so as soon as I get the books and the materials I will correct that flaw on the design.

Thanks a lot for the commentaries.
    Fabián :bassist:

10. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I really don't find your headstock to be that bad, I'm pretty sure it would work that way. The one thing I'd do if I were you is make the upper horn attach to the body a bit farther from bridge, cuz your neck looks reaaaaally long I find. I'd also pull back the pickup a tad, but that's a personnal preference.

Regarding the Cad stuff, I actually like the command prompt system. I find it faster than clicking buttons and stuff.

11. I started working with Corel Draw and tried to see if I could make a
    model with wood patterns and this is what I came up with.
    The woods I used were Ash, Wenge and Pau Ferro
    I downloaded the wood pics from Cb Basses.
    Hope there´s no problem
    http://www.cbbasses.com/

12. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    In keeping with the theme, how about a snakewood fingerboard-- if you can afford it, that is.

13. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    That coreldraw pic looks cool. One note- and I'm not trying to insult here, just an honest observation- I'd check out some snake photos to get a better/more accurate shape for the headstock, because when I looked at it out of the corner of my eye it looked like a (side view) duck. :) You might even find a snake species (since different species have different head shapes) that is more suitable, with the tuners closer to the nut.

14. Damn You´re right I had noticed That duck shape but I couldn´t find a really good picture of the side of a snake head, so I tried with the one I thought was better. But hey if have some links you could share I´d really appreciate it.

P.S I want the headstock To look like a Imperator Boa but looking at it from the up side.

15. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I doubt this helps, but I thought it was kinda cool.

[​IMG]

-Josh

16. HOLY CRAP THAT'S AWESOME. That'd be hell to restring though, especially the D string. How do you plan on cutting the curvy woods through the neck? What tools, etc...

17. I think I´m gonna cut first in zig zag and then round the pieces with a motortool or something. I´m still waiting for the books to arrive (damn post is really slow) so I think I´m gonna start with this by mid february ( After I Find some relief from college)

Keep on grooving!!!:bassist:

18. Finally I received the Books, and now I have already bought the wood too:hyper: , I think I´m gonna start shaping it next week.

I have a question, I take the wood to a place where are the machines to have a very thin laminate but they couldn´t do it due to some problems with the machines, and I really need a to get a thin laminate, is there anyway that you can use at home to do this, what tools do I have to use?

Sorry for the long post!

Keep on Grooving!:bassist:

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I wonder how you are going to do the wavy neck layers...

20. Well after buying some tools and some redesign I finally got the center piece and the body wings.
    I had to drop the snake theme because the curved pieces are really hard to cut so I dropped the idea. Maybe when I gain more experience I´ll give it a try.
    Now here are a couple of pics of what I´ve done so far.:hyper: