I’m a bit stuck on this install

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Iofflight, Feb 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    so I bought the Bartolini 5.2 AP 918 and soap bar pick ups for my Ltd B4E. I’m at the soldering stage and can’t figure out if I do the top or bottom diagram. I suspect it’s the bottom one with the pick ups going to the blend knob but I just wanted to make sure since I’ve never done an install before.

I’m sure someone here had done this before. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    In case anyone wonders the same the answer is yes it's the blend pot.

peaveyGrind6Man likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The first step is to throw out all the pots that they supplied you & buy:
    two 500K Ohm linear taper volume pots (optional push/pull design for parallel/series switching of each pickup)
    500K Ohm audio taper treble cut (tones) pot

If you're intent on using what was supplied, make your choice of blend or two volumes.
    Personally, I'd rather have two volumes than a blend pot, for multiple reasons.

A. A blend pot loads the circuit more & reduces some highs & output
    B. If that's a A/C taper blend pot, it reduces output even more by having a series resistance between the pickup outputs & the volume pot (even when the pot is in it's center detent)
    C - ok, just two good reasons

Don't solder the capacitor between the treble cut & volume pot, like in that diagram. That's just bad practice. The cap should be contained to the treble cut pot & a wire run to the volume pot.

Those 250K Ohm pots are fine if you don't like some extra brightness & output.

peaveyGrind6Man and Iofflight like this.
  4. peaveyGrind6Man

peaveyGrind6Man

Apr 1, 2013
    Either or depending on the basses configuration or parts on hand I personally switched my last 4 basses to a blend pot as I like the ease of use of one universal volume. Even a Mexican V Fender jazz bass. If the current set up only has one pickup then ignore the second audio(volume pot) and or the blend pot in the diagram but my current has 500k pots

5. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    The original bass has a blend pot and was only active. This allows for Active Passive which I do care more about but I actually like having blend. But I think it would be great to have a completely active bass with just the neck or bridge option with no blend.

6. benrtd

benrtd

Feb 26, 2018
    Did you ever finish this install? Thoughts on the final result? Did you go with the Bat's recommended pups of M34CBC-B and M34CBC-T?

Having just purchased the same bass, I'm curious.

By the way, Iofflight, I saw your other thread regarding the finish on this bass. I find the lighting and angle plays a big role in how it appears. I think mine is exactly the same.

Iofflight likes this.
  7. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    I actually took it to the shop to finish the install on the preamp. A hole for one of the pots needed to be made a bit bigger. I did go with the M34CBCs. I think they sound great.

I just posted a short vid of me using them.

benrtd likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021