1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I’m looking for someone who could make this custom bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mavrykelle, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mavrykelle

Dec 24, 2017
    It would be great if the price were around $1600. The most I’d be willing to pay would be $1800

Bass specs:

Right handed
    4 string
    Jazz style
    32” scale length
    Neck wood- maple
    Fretboard wood- maple
    C-shape neck profile
    White Corian nut
    Block inlays and side dot inlays (both match body color)
    21 frets, 6130 nickel
    9.5” fretboard radius
    Round heel
    Neck finish- vintage tint gloss on back for feel. vintage tint satin on head stock to match fretboard.
    Tuners- Schaller BM bass tuners chrome
    Set neck attachment method

Right handed
    P bass style (size proportional with medium scale neck)
    Top wood- alder
    Core wood- alder
    Body contour- tummy cut and forearm cut
    Rear rout controls (cover matches body color)
    Double battery box (cover matches body color)
    Active controls
    Neck pickup- Seymour Duncan vintage p bass pickup
    Bridge pickup- Seymour Duncan vintage jazz bass bridge pickup
    Neck pickup cover- copper (matches pickguard)
    Bridge pickup cover- vintage white (matches body)
    Bridge- Gotoh 201 4 string bass chrome
    Body finish- vintage white satin
    Copper pickguard
    Chrome controls

I have a reference photo for the body color because there are many different kinds of vintage white

If you know someone or a place that makes custom basses and can meet all of these specifications in my price range please tell me. Thank you:)
    MattZilla and mikewalker like this.
  2. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Warmoth can do a short scale similar tl this
    bgartist and MobileHolmes like this.
  3. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Warmoth for sure
    jumbodbassman and Aqualung60 like this.
  4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    If you want a vintage look, Mjt guitars does an AMAZING job too
    Mavrykelle and MobileHolmes like this.
  5. Mavrykelle

Dec 24, 2017
    Thank you for the advice. I have looked at Warmoth already and they offer a lot of what I want. But they can’t do block inlays that match the body and the headstock shape won’t be like the normal jazz bass if I get 32” scale. This is why I’ve considered having them make the body and get the neck somewhere else but I’d like to get the whole bass from one place and I have no experience putting parts together
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Not very well known, but does very good work - John Toon in Kansas City. He used to be on TB but I haven't noticed him posting much lately. His website is toonbass.webs.com. His prices used to be around your range, though I'm not sure what they are lately or how your specs would affect it. There's also Chris Stambaugh here in NH, amazing craftsman, but his start around $1900.
  7. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You might try contacting Warmoth to see if they'll make a shortscale neck with an uncut/"paddle" headstock.

USA Custom Guitars is another high quality parts manufacturer, on par with Warmoth. You might try them, too.

Regarding your matching inlays - I guess they'll be painted on? Nothing wrong with that, but it is unusual. Maple fingerboards are painted in clear anyway, so I suppose you could get a paddle headstock neck (if available) and an unfinished body from Warmoth and have a builder do the paint work and assembly. Or get those parts, send them off to someone who does guitar painting like Pat Wilkins or Marty Bell, then have a local shop do final assembly and set up.

Your specs say "set neck attachment method" - if that's what you really want, you'll probably find very few choices..... there's not a lot of builders that I know of doing set necks. The ones I know of don't do custom, and their prices are way out of your range anyway. Plenty of custom builders doing neck-through, even more doing bolt-on.

Set neck construction is the most complex method; you really only see it with a builder that has very specific goal and a wood "formula", and a price-is-no-object, no compromises approach. In other words, "Fodera" ;) .
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I do not know about John TOon but Chris will not make a Fender headstock. He has a pretty similar take on it that he will do but it won't be a proper Fender headstock, like the OP wants.
  9. hrodbert696

Where do you see a requirement for a Fender headstock in the OP? I'm not finding it. He says "jazz style" but I assume that means nut width/profile.

EDIT: nvm. Just saw post #5.
  10. Mavrykelle

Dec 24, 2017

Thanks for putting that into perspective. I’ve looked into USA Custom Guitars too and they only do dot inlays. I really didn’t know set necks were that expensive so I’d be okay with bolt-on
  11. Mavrykelle

Dec 24, 2017
    I’ll look into this with John Toon, thank you
    hrodbert696 likes this.
  12. Mavrykelle

Dec 24, 2017
    When I say Jazz style I mean I want the shape to look like a fender jazz bass headstock. You used the pronoun he. I’m a female btw
  13. hrodbert696

Pardon me.
  14. Mavrykelle

Dec 24, 2017
    I’m not offended, just letting you know
    hrodbert696 likes this.
  15. lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I don't think there's any way you're going to get all those specific features for the price you want to pay.

You could get close, but you'll never some of those features, such as the matching battery covers and rear cavity covers and matching inlay.

Specifying a round heel with a set neck tells me you don't really get how a set neck attaches to the body.

It's also interesting that you're so detailed about everything but not the preamp or controls beyond it being an 18v system.
    GroovinOnFunk likes this.
  16. Mavrykelle

Dec 24, 2017
    I’m may have rethink my price...and do a little more research about the stuff that matters
  17. lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It also depends on how much work you want to/are able to do yourself. And how many different vendors you want to get things from.

Getting that exact instrument hand made by a single luthier would probably start at $1000 more than your budget, if not more.

If you can sacrifice some features, like painted rear covers, custom color pickup covers, matching inlay color and the set neck, you could source all the parts separately well within your budget and assemble it yourself.
    MrLenny1 and Mavrykelle like this.
  18. JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Have a play with the custom builders on Maruszczyk (public peace.de) and Sandberg, see if anything you can put together takes your fancy. Sandberg may be a little more expensive than your budget though.

However, neither of these will have a Fender headstock, but they will have headstocks you can be proud of ;)
    maplenecked, gln1955 and Mavrykelle like this.
  19. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Chris Stambaugh will build you anything you want. He will only put his name on it though. But you’re easily looking at $2500-3000 for those exact specs.
    wmmj and Mavrykelle like this.
  20. Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Just curious, why set neck?