I’ve come out of the closet, sort of

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by evlwevl, Aug 23, 2018.

1. evlwevl

evlwevl

Jun 16, 2017
    Bakersfield
    For years, I’ve watched my bass and guitar collection sit in the corner of the room collecting dust. I would pick up the bass every so often and play with my jam along setup with headphones in my bedroom as not to disturb the rest of the household. Not knowing how to read music and just being able to play by ear had put put myself in a self imposed solitary prison of sorts. Just recently, I decided to place an ad in craigslist to meet up with local other musicians to jam with. I was surprised by the responses so much so I had to pull the ad. Since then, I’ve had 4 requests and have met 3 different folks in my age bracket who I have played with. An individual a few blocks away, a couple of guys an hour away and a guy with a home studio nearby. All 3 with differing music backgrounds has allowed me to broaden my view of what I was enjoying while simply playing by myself. I wish I would have done this sooner. My wife had been accommodating so far with my new jam schedule. My main worry was that I wasn’t going to be good enough to play in a group format but my repeated return requests have proven me wrong and has boosted my self confidence of playing outside of the private confines of my bedroom. Who knew this could be so much fun?

RickyT, Oddly, mike o and 55 others like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Cool story!

Glad you're having fun. :thumbsup:

BTW, a secret between us...anyone who ever played in a band, jam or open mic gets the same feeling.:bassist:

You're wife is happy to get relief for a couple of hours. :laugh:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    TolerancEJ, Holdsg, evlwevl and 4 others like this.
  3. All of us playing in a band! LOL!

4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Congrats @evlwevl , the first step is always the most difficult!

Now run away from TB before you realize you need 4x SVT's, 25 basses and an HPF!!! ;)

5. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It is truly the best. Making music with other people is a very cool Stupid Human Trick.

Alik, sgtpepper, theeculprit and 4 others like this.
  6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    You’ve had better luck than I’ve had lately. Everyone around here thinks a louder jam means a better jam. I stopped placing/ responding to ads in June because I’m afraid of snapping on these fools. Enjoy.

7. My "out of the closet" story is that when my son finished college and left the nest I took over his room in the basement. All of my basses/guitars got to hang up, making them far more accessible than when they were in a case in the closet.

And yes, all of us that are lucky enough to make music with others knew how much fun it was! I am always critical of my playing but in reality if you can keep a good tempo and groove you're doing the job. The fancy stuff is nice, but in reality is a lot less useful in a band situation.

Enjoy!

TolerancEJ, evlwevl and McG like this.
  8. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    From personal experience, and looking WAY back in my past, playing by yourself only gets you so far. You may have some talent and not even realize it, and your development may stagnate. During periods between being in bands I sometimes found myself thinking, "Man, I suck" or "This isn't for me". Boredom is the ultimate buzz kill.

The next step towards really becoming a viable musician is to get out and play with other people. The next step after that is to play in front of other people. If you take those steps and have some talent and a desire to achieve you will see your competence and confidence grow considerably more than they would have had you just stayed in your bedroom. Good luck!

9. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Keep it up Bro, it gets better and better as you do.
    I always practice with headphones. A few years back I had a room mate and it was 4 months before she realized I played bass and practiced most every evening. She knocked on my door for something and I happened to answer bass in hand, headphones around neck. "Wow, you play bass?" Uh, yeah, every night. "I've never heard anything"

evlwevl and McG like this.
  10. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    If you have any tolerance for Celtic/Irish/bluegrass/old-time most of those folks play unamplified, which makes a certain amount of limit on how loud it can get. Of course, some subsets will expect you to do likewise, which has equipment side effects.

And a fair number then make it all about how fast they can play (which frequently results in a song somewhat similar to the original but without anything that's complex & might be too hard to play at breakneck speed.)

Playing with other people is huge, particularly with Bass (unless you itch to be a solo bassist and study that repertoire) - my parts, in isolation, are not much to listen to, but in the session or band context, they work just fine slapping* a foundation under what others are doing.

*[I do not slap. I mostly bow, and sometime pitz, and when pitzing sometimes overdo it a hair]

11. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I take my bass on the road with me sometimes for work. We were in Ketchikan, I was practicing with some Blackstar battery powered amps, very low volume. When I met my FA for dinner, she told me she could tell what I was playing. :woot: There may be hope for me yet. :bassist:

12. mbasile

mbasile Mediocre Bassist of a Year Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Austin, Texas
    Congrats! Jamming with others allowed me to step out of the practice bedroom and have confidence in my playing. I always thought I’d suck in a band situation, but I found that if I do, other suck more (and less). The better ones helped me highlight what I needed to improve on.

evlwevl likes this.
  13. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Frequency Administrator? Frequent Admirer? First Assistant? Favorite A**? do re mi FA so la ti do? (the 4th) Final Answer? (that must be it)

14. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Congrats! Nothing beats playing with other people in terms of fun and in terms of making you a better player.

That said, we expect future posts about ridiculous band drama and drummer-firing. ;)

the_home, Alik and PlatoFunFactory like this.
  15. greenduke

greenduke

Jan 21, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Absolutely, playing with more, let's say, advanced musicians, is one of the best ways to improve and up your own skills.
    Nothing like seeing and hearing it live to help break through any glass ceiling you may have imposed on yourself.
    Don't get frustrated for trying, have fun and "record your sessions". Listen, assess and learn.

16. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Flight Attendant.

17. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Thank you for giving me the idea of putting out a Craig's list ad for jamming. That never occurred to me. Also, I have been playing for 25 years and can't read sheet music either! My guitar player doesn't even know the notes on the guitar neck. He has to tell me the fret number. We have been playing original metal for years and having a blast.

18. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Often the people that worry about being good enough to audition shouldn't and the people that don't worry about being good enough should. I held auditions for a rockabilly band last year and more than half of the people who showed up couldn't follow a simple 12 bar progression. There are three chords, the law of averages says you should be playing the right chord 33% of the time.

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  19. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Playing with others is really what it is about
    I miss it at the moment but will find another group eventually
    Glad to hear you are jamming

Best of luck to you

20. I played regularly very long ago.

Around 2011-2012, I decided that I would like to play again. I bought some new basses and practiced at home to get my chops back up to speed. I placed a few Craigslist ads, got a lot of responses but nothing really materialized so I backed off.

I set a renewed goal in 2017 of meeting musicians to practice with and this time I managed to meet a couple of local musicians last August / September. We'd been rehearsing the guitarist's original material for almost a year.

I set two goals for 2018, to: 1) perform on a stage and 2) play on a recording.

One of those goals will be crossed off tomorrow and I'm getting excited because it will be 21 years since the last time I've been on a stage. I am bringing my FBass BN6 and my Greg Curbow Petite 6 as a backup (just in case). The organizers are providing a bass amp, so I won't need to lug mine around.

We will play as the opening band of the 2nd stage at Bowfest, on Bowen Island, BC. I'm playing bass with The Dan Cowan Band. The style is instrumental progressive rock.

Bowfest 2018 - Bowen Island

I have no problem performing as the opening act. Eventually I hope to play more often, but I gotta start somewhere.

Sore Thumb, G19Tony and T_Bone_TL like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021