I’ve come out of the closet, sort of

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by evlwevl, Aug 23, 2018.

1. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    It really is.

2. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I jammed with people and played in gigging bands solidly from about 1982-1999. I miss it terribly.

Seems like when I do find folks in my age group (I'm 50 next month) who want to play, it's always, always 79s classic rock...Eagles, Clapton, Skynyrd...

Nothing wrong with that, I'd be happy to play covers too, but while I like listening to some of that stuff, every podunk town had a bunch of 70s classic rock bands.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  3. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Playing in an originals band it's hard to judge yourself against the 'real' version of a song. When you listen to a recording of a jam and think, "this is real music" it affirms your choice of leisure activity.

If you have the ability, always record everything.

4. Playing by yourself is good practice, but ensemble playing is next level. Ensemble skills are an important musical tool for any musician—playing in tempo, balance, dynamics, interplay, are all important next level skills that solo practice alone will never teach you.

I have told every student who mastered the basics of music, theory, technique, and ear training with me, that their next step is playing with others, whether that means a friendly garage jam, joining a band, or playing at church, when you’ve gone as far as you can alone, the next logical step is to join some other like-minded musicians.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021