1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I 62'ed my Sadowsky Will Lee!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PlayTheBass, Oct 9, 2019 at 11:09 AM.

1. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    @PlayTheBass That is freaking gorgeous. What a great color and look for that bass.. wow.

lowdownthump and PlayTheBass like this.
  2. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Sadowskys are more than just the preamp. Take it out and you still have an impeccably made bass.
    No sacrilege at all.

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I’ve owned ... too many Sadowsky and have 3 NYC’s currently.

The magic is in the wood/build.

Thump on!

PlayTheBass, Dave Hill and burk48237 like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Personally, I feel the preamp is what makes Sadowsky distinct from other boutique Jazz Basses. I would probably order a Fender Custom Shop, Lull, or Lakland, if I wanted a really nice passive four string. That said, the OP spent his money and it’s his bass. It sounds like he is really happy with his mods so I am happy for him.:bassist:

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    The NYC’s in particular are EXTREMELY resonant acoustic marvels unplugged. In line with the MTD’s/Foderas I’ve played/owned, but yeah that pre removal made me pucker a bit.

I play my PJ5 passive quite a bit actually.

Also ... boy howdy that green is sharp.

6. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Thank you Rogatien, Skillet, ElMon and all for the great feedback!! :) It's fun to share something like this that starts as a harebrained scheme and ends up kinda cool.

I also think the Sadowsky magic is in the wood. I've sat down in the studio with this bass, put the headphones on, played a bit, gone to turn it up... only to find the preamp was off the whole time and I was just hearing it acoustically. It's kind of wild.

mikezimmerman, ElMon and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

These are a couple clips I recorded on a borrowed MV5 in passive mode. I know Sadowskys sound great passive. I would not chose to remove the active electronics if I owned one, but I certainly respect the choices of others. Being able to go passive and use the VTC would be enough for me.

mikecd1, ElMon and PlayTheBass like this.
  8. Even with the best basses, sometimes to be perfect FOR YOU it still takes a little tweaking, and smart guys who've been around awhile know what that's gonna be. I think that's the case here, it's a fabulous bass, and that color and matching headstock are just killer, and sho-nuff 64's it.

Good for You !

PlayTheBass likes this.
  9. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Thanks, J!

10. PlayTheBass

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
  11. rdmjazz

rdmjazz Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2000
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Wanna sell that pre? :)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I wouldn’t have done it, but it’s one of your first amendment rights to do whatever you wish to your instruments. Every time I hear someone playing a Sadowsky, it sounds far better than a Fender does. But the only one you’ve got to please is yourself

PlayTheBass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  13. kerrycares

kerrycares Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Who is MJT?
    Nice bass.

PlayTheBass likes this.
  14. downunder

downunder

Aug 25, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Don’t think I would dare refinish a bass that already sounded great. Good for you. It worked.

PlayTheBass likes this.
  15. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    Okay, so nobody else will say so I will - shoulda left the tort guard on. :rolleyes:

PlayTheBass likes this.
  16. Some will - some won't. Most probably won't. But why care? Make it your bass!

PlayTheBass likes this.
  17. "Sounds far better" is very subjective. There are MANY who would disagree with you. YMMV, IMHO. Cheers!

18. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Not sure why the big deal over removing the preamp. Changing the pickups and either changing or adding a preamp to a Fenders is a pretty common theme around here, lots of people even considering it before they get the bass! Removing something that isn't needed doesn't strike me as being a bad decision. As @Dave Hill has said, Sadowsky's are more than just the electronics. @PlayTheBass has had the bass long enough to know what is needed to get the job done. He's still getting it done and in reality, that's all that matters.

One last comment. People change out the wheels on their cars all of the time solely for aesthetic purposes but yet changing out the color on a higher-end guitar gives heartburn? I personally think it looks great and see no reason why someone shouldn't customize their instrument however the please regardless of brand or cost.

PlayTheBass likes this.
  19. I have to agree ... :)

20. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I love surf green and seafoam green basses! Your bass looks fantastic! It's great how you simplified the electronics! Less can be more. Hats off to ya!

PlayTheBass likes this.