1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I accidentally learned how to play bass with a pick.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Long story short, I still play bass with friends, love my Fender P, jam at least once a week, but for the past two years, I have been 95% dedicated to guitar. I play guitar every day and started a band about a year ago playing guitar. For the first year or so, I tried numerous sizes and thicknesses of guitar picks before settling on one that I always use now. (Dunlop Gator Grips .57 mm) So I have a ton of various picks lying around.

So, for about 25 years I played bass guitar finger style. It is how I was taught. I played in bands almost the entire 25 years. I play finger style 100% of the time when playing bass with a band. I can also play slap and I can also play thumb-style but I usually do these things when playing around by myself. However, I have always been terrible with a pick.

I picked up my bass yesterday and was playing through my Ampeg SVT AV and 810. I was loving it. I grabbed a dunlop pick, 1 mm gauge. I discovered that after two years of playing guitar almost daily, I can now play bass equally as well with a pick as I can with two fingers. I can play everything I can with my two fingers using a pick. I never thought that would happen but wow. I was having fun yesterday getting that pick sound and rocking out with a pick. I really never thought I would be able to do both equally. Learning guitar (with a pick) is a phenomenally fun and effective way of learning to play bass with a pick.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  2. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    Yep, love playing with a pick, especially on my Fender Jazz. I am a firm believer in learning how to play with fingers and pick, it makes a more versatile bassist and a better paid bassist.

3. Malcolm1935

Malcolm1935

Feb 5, 2021
    The thicker pick can make it all come together.
    When I used a pick I went with a Dunlop Big Stubby 1.00 up to a 3.0. Might give the thicker picks a look see.....

Happy trails.

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  4. Nightmara

Nightmara

Oct 28, 2020
    I had a similar epiphany yesterday. You can really punish the bass playing with pick

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021