Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i actually found "MY" bass..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Sep 25, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i traded my infamous mtd 535 tht was ran over for tim coles black sparkle sterling..i paired that up with my new swr iod pre..and perfect...just the perfect tone...just amazing...anyone else have "the" tone?

steve

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Glad you like it Steve, IMO the Musicman sound is one of the best.....I will always have a MM bass of some kind in my arsenal, and hope to find another one soon. That Sterling is a sweet one!

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    PS, here is a pic of Steve's score.

[​IMG]

4. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I have a few, how's that for decisiveness. Here are my winners for each category.

For slap: MTD 535 (non-squashed ;) ) with Wenge/Wenge neck and Dean Markley SR2000 Will Lee strings

Best overall tone, fingerstyle or slap, in a four string: '76-'78 Stingray

Best overall tone, fingerstyle or slap, in a five string: Benavente 219

"Tone in My Head":

1) Modulus Flea 5 w/Bart 2-band and Lane Poor MM pickup

2) Modulus Quantum 5 w/EMG 2-band

Punch in the gut, solid bass tone: Pedulla Thunderbass or Thunderbolt

If I had to pick one bass, it would be a '76 or '77 stingray with a straight neck and good frets.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    seein that pic hurts..i want to get home so i can go to practice and fool around...:D :bassist: ..lol

thanks agian tim

steve

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Geez Todd, we're like minded in taste.

I now own: MTD 535 (of the squashed variety), and a 78 Stingray. I have in the past owned a Mod Flea 5, with the Lane Poor/bart pre combo.

These are all killer basses.

7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive heard alot about this infamous "squashed" bass. Do you have pics? How is it structurally and cosmetically. It has to be in deceant or tim wouldnt of traded a sweet bass like that for it.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
  9. Dublin-Bass

Dublin-Bass Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    That looks great. I love the black Pearl pick guard. I haven't yet played a Sterling,but have played a good few Stingrays. Does the sound of the Sterling differ from the Stingray?

10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    A few more tones because of the 3 way selector switch.

11. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I gotta say, my `71 p-bass with an active EMG pickup in it sounds soooo sweet.

I also really like the modern, cutting and deep sound of my Carvin LB76.

:^)~

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sterling gets close to a ray sound, but not quite, but it does seem a bit more versatile having the switching options.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Nice pickup Steve-o. I've played Tim's ex-Sterling and it's a wonderful bass. Also...on the Flea with Lane Poors, I also played that one when Tim had it and it KILLED. That was probably one of the best sounding pickups I've ever heard.

14. My killer combo is a '71 Jazz w/Lindy Fralin pups and Sadowsky preamp, strung with tapewounds into an Ampeg BA115HP combo. Absolutely amazing!!!

15. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i went home and had rehersal......uggh why am i at work i could be playing...

well i usually don't play with a pick..but man i tried it..amazing.i atleast got 2 times better than before..maybe its just some mind thing..but everyone in the band was like wow, where did that come from..hehe

thanks
    steve

16. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i won't have my perfect tone until i get a stingray five with a c string. :meh:.

17. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    that isn't that hard...
    just replace the nut

steve