Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I actually have a gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lump, Jun 19, 2005.

1. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    This thread will probably just be a masturbatory blog since no one else gives a rat's patootie, but it'll keep me out of TPA. Sue me. :p

Anyhoo, at the ripe old age of 41, I'm finally in a rock band. Been playing about 8 years, and have done lots of church stuff, but the band situation has always been elusive. Part of it has been my schedule and location (AF, stationed in Korea for the last 5 years), and part of it not finding the right bunch of fellers, particulary when most guys are here on a 1-year remote. Well, the stars have aligned properly, and I got recruited by a retired buddy of mine who just opened a club in the "ville." Actually, the lead guitar player recruited me, but once we connected the dots, it was pretty much a done deal.

It's a five-piece band, with my club-owner pal as the lead singer. He and the drummer (who kicks @$$) have been playing together for almost a decade, and the lead guitar player kills, although he's mostly a classic/southern rock guy (he plays a Tele, if that tells you anything). We're doing mainly old-white guy classic rock, but with some more modern stuff thrown in for the kiddies. We went from zero to our first gig in less than three weeks, which still kinda boggles my mind, but it went pretty dang well. We did about 30 tunes, from Elvis to Radiohead. We had some rough patches, but the kids from work came in a threw panties at me (I'm not kidding--I'll post pics), so it wasn't all bad. It was a good time, and while I'm not satisfied with where we're at, I'm happy with how it went, especially with only three rehearsals. Everyone has chops, we've got some good chemistry, and some real potential to pull off much larger gigs locally. I'm pretty excited. :)

The only real negative for me was my right forearm cramping up at the end of the second set in the middle of "Free Bird" (I know, I know). All I could do was look at my hand as it curled up into a fist. I had to pry it open with my other hand, and it hurt like a sumbitch. Fortunately, it was our second to last tune, with last being "She Hates Me," which my dog can play (although she droops her dew claw over the top of the fingerboard, which drives me nuts). ;) I was pretty much down for the count. With all of the shedding I've been doing, I've been real conscious of RSI problems on the top of my hand, but I've never had the underside of my forearm do that before. I will definitely be stretching throughout next time. If anyone has experienced anything similar, I'm open to advice.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll probably be posting more in this forum as time goes on to tap you guys for advice, particularly on performance/sound issues. Thanks in advance!

2. I like these threads actually. Makes me look forward to the stuff I'll be doing with whatever band I'm playing with. (esp. love the panties part, give us the pics :p )

3. Will your dog join my band?

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Thanks for sharing that!

Great story. Congrats!

:D

Joe.

5. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    LMFAO. If you can overlook her technique and questionable choice of passing tones, sure. But I get to go back with her. Born and raised in Vista (me, not her). Man, I miss the ocean. :bawl:

Lowtonejoe,

Thanks. It really was pretty cool. I'm still hunting down the blackmail pics. Probably the best part was in between sets, when the drummer said, "Man, you're solid. I dig playing with you." I've been watching this guy for years, so it was a helluva compliment. I'm very motivated to help make this thing happen. :cool:

6. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Well, the 99 Band had a little set back--our lead guitar player bailed on us. I pretty much saw it coming; he is much more of a country guy, and was able to step into a paying country gig. While I understand, the way he went about it was pretty chicken**** (I'll spare you the gory details). Let's just say he was not very forthcoming about his intentions. The funny part is that he was trying to set me up to take over for their bassist (a much younger guy, but solid player), who leaves in Sept. I'd say he'll have a better chance of finding an "R" in "fat ****ing chance." :spit: I play for fun, not money.

It forced us to abandon about 2/3 of our set list, which is just fine by me, because it was all the old skool/cowboy crap (ZZ, Skynyrd, etc). The remaining guitar player is like a deer in the headlights right now, but he's a lot more comfortable playing Foo Fighters, Green Day, RHCP etc, which I also prefer, and is our new direction. We kinda had to light a fire under him because the rest of us have our stuff down and want to gig ASAP, but he's really starting to step up. Not lazy--just young and underestimates the amount of time it takes to shed stuff out. We were looking to recruit another guitar player, but frankly, I think if can hold up his end we're better off as a three piece. It definitely gives me more room to step out, and is a lot easier to coordinate schedules.

Anyway, we're shooting for two sets this Friday night. The panty pix have proved elusive, but maybe we'll get an encore. I just wanna frickin' play. :meh:

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool enjoy it lump, that beautiful Sadowsky of yours needs some live time. :bassist:

8. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    It's always good to read stories like this. But it's even better to see panty pics! We want them!

9. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    RIGHT ON!!!

Great post, lump.

10. LOL

11. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Well, we gigged with the new line-up on Friday, and it went...fantastic. We took a vote at rehearsal on Thursday whether to go for it or not, and it was 3 to 1. Our singer/club owner was still a little nervous about the guitar player pulling it off, but the rest of us pushed for it. I'm glad we did, because he totally came through and we SMOKED. We did two sets:

1. Hard To Handle - Black Crowes
    2. She - Green Day
    3. Turning Japanese - Incubus Version
    4. You Really Got Me - Van Halen
    5. Creep - Radiohead
    6. Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossoms
    7. Far Behind - Candlebox
    8. One Way Out - Allman Bros.
    9. Everlong - Foo Fighters
    10. Roadhouse Blues - Doors

1. Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down
    2. Johnnie B. Goode - Chuck Berry
    3. Bad Case of Loving You - Robert Palmer
    4. Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
    5. Keep Your Hands To Yourself - Georgia Satellites
    6. She Hates Me - Puddle of Mud
    7. Crazy Train - Ozzy
    (Short set--I'll get to that)

The crowd, which was admittedly mostly comprised of sympathetic co-workers, loved us. They had every reason to leave, especially since it was hotter than hell in the club. It's monsoon season, and the puny AC couldn't keep up with the throng of people crammed in there. It was miserable. But they hung tough.

We had more planned for the second set, but got shut down. It's a long story, but the singer/owner has an arrangement with the building owner over the noise, which is essentially aquiescing to extortion. Apparently, he hadn't greased the building owner's palm enough, and the Korean cops magically showed up. Anyone who has ever been in a Korean bar district knows how ludicrous the thought of being shut down for being too loud is. There is music blasting out of every club. It was a total scam, but the threat of being shut down for three weeks if they got another call was very real. We turned down, but cut the second set short just to be on the safe side. Once we told the the very sweaty crowd what was going on, they were even willing to take up a collection to keep us playing, but we declined. But it was clear we sank the hook into them.

I'm especially glad we got out there again because we can't play for another 3 weeks due to a base exercise this week and our drummist going to Japan the next; last week it was Diego Garcia. That's the toughest part--getting four military/military contractor guys together on the same night in a semi-deployed location with a very high ops tempo. We're shooting for every Friday, but it's once a month if we're lucky. This is good timing though--it'll help us add another 10-20 songs. Bring it on. :bassist:

I am VERY happy with how it went. It wasn't perfect, but for the most part, it was tight. The best compliment came from one of the older guys who has seen every iteration of whatever band the singer/drummer have had over the last 10 years. His comment was that this was the best version. I'm stoked to say the least, and modesty aside, think I have something to do with that. This is all very, very cool. :cool: