Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I adjusted My own Truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Boy, does it feel good beinng able to take care of your own bass with no one else touching it :hyper:

2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I just did the same thing. I found out less is more! I did a quarter turn I should have done a 1/8 of a turn.

But your right, it sure feels good getting to know your equipment.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Each of my basses truss rods seem to react differently. Some really need to be cranked (so to speak) whilst some only need slight adjustments.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That is exactly what I do --- make my own adjustments. I think I know what I'm doing but I have one bass that didn't seem to respond to my adjustments. It turned out that some glue was making a truss rod very hard to turn. The luthier just went ahead and gave it all he had and the truss rod suddenly freed itself.

HOWEVER - Be smart... if you're not getting what you desire or you hear a "cracking" noise, take it to a pro technician.

Once you screw it up, you can't go back.

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Cool. I know too many people that have played for years but are scared to death to touch a truss rod. Just remember no more than a half turn a day. :bassist:

6. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Mine went to the shop today for a pro setup. I got it a few months ago and adjusted the truss rod. Broke a string and put the first new set on - they were apparently a different guage as my ultra-low action was gone. I tried adjusting it again today - action is still high, but buzzy in spots, so off it went. Wish I knew more about how to do this stuff...

7. Make sure you use the right size wrench... I accidentally stripped a bullet end once!

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    It was wierd my first time (adjusting a truss rod). I wanted to relieve the action because my neck was too straight. I did a 1/4 turn, now it's too curved. So I just did a 1/8 of a turn back after waiting 48 hours and will try it out this way. If it's still too much I'll give it another little tweek. Does this sound ok?

9. Yep, you need to give wood some time to settle before you tweek it any more.

Don't forget that's what this forum is for........ask questions if you are not confident doing these adjustments by yourself!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    48 hours is definitely overkill though. It'll settle within an hour and you can adjust it from there if the neck's bow isn't to spec. There may be a slight settling that occurs later, though I haven't really found this to be the case, but you should reevaluate your neck the next day if you're doing a setup anyways :)

11. i swear I snapped the truss rod in my warwick rockbass......i turned it the wrong way, and it went backwards, I didn't know what to do, so I took the neck off and left it for about 2 months with no strings...then for a laugh one day I restrung it and bingo! It worked fine. I dunno, it seems to be able to take BEAD strings, then change to E A D G with no adjustment....strange things basses.

12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Maybe it wasn't broken?

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Cool, thanks everyone! I noticed when you do this you may have to fiddle with you bridge because it changes the action a bit.

I was wondering what some of your prefernces were? Do some of you like your necks straight as a board or just slightly bent with some relief? What about fret buzz? I have had some people say I shouldn't have any where some said it's ok and it's part on thier tone?