1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I admit it. i'm a knob tweaker. Is there any amp that will satisfy me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Hey Guys,
    Yup I'm constantly changing my settings depending on my mood. Hi Fi, GK growl, Razor Clean, overdriven.Do you think there is an amp out there that can satisfy my tastes or am I destined to just using my Bass Pod XT? I've been thinking about the Tech 21 Landmark 300. Any opinions? The TC Electronics RH450 looks nice but a bit too expensive for me currently.Any others?
    Brent

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    There's other things that have a lot of settings. Look for something with a big thick manual if you are at a loss. Maybe there is a future for you in synthesis, perhaps physical modeling would do the trick. Yamaha has scared plenty of people with this, just as they did with Chowning's 6-operator FM way back when.

3. blmeier7

blmeier7 Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Amarillo, TX
    Genz Benz Shuttle Max

4. Ohh. That's funny I never thought of the Shuttlemax. Thanks!

5. TC electronic

6. The Genz GBEs have a bunch of knobs and also sound pretty awesome.. You could always go with a Line 6 Bass Pod Pro as a preamp too. There's about eleventy billion possibilities with that thing.

7. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Genz GBE series also... inherent tone is a little heftier than the ShuttleMax to my ear. Of course, the amps are a little heftier too :)

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Roland VB-99.

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
  10. SWR Mo Bass also has a crapload of knobs.

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    EA iAmp Pro

12. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Carvin BX1500 .

All kinds of EQ options , presets , graphic , shelving and parametric . Also compession and amp output options , bridged , ,dual mono and biamped with a variable 2nd order electronic crossover . I had its predessesor , the Redline 1000 , that had the same options and was forever tweeking .

13. Plstrns

Plstrns

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    GK 2001? If you like it's distortion, it should be your ticket. Add a 2001 preamp and a aby box and you're set.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mesa/Boogie Basis M2000. It's got it all ... knobs, faders, switches by the dozen. Good luck finding a usable tone in there.

[​IMG]

15. MooneyDriver

MooneyDriver

Oct 6, 2010
    Kent, OH
    I think you need one of these too!!

16. mustbampeg

mustbampeg

Feb 27, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    This.

17. the svt 3 pro doesn't have as many knobs as some of these other options... but man is it hard to dial in a tone on that thing, you'll be tweaking knobs out of necessity for hours on end if it's your misfortune to own one.

18. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Then there's the other extreme. Try this to break the knobs habit: show up for a gig with just your bass and a direct box. Make sure before hand the PA is up to it and the guy running it knows what he's doing. I've actually shown up to gigs like that for large outdoor stadium-style gigs. Really made me concentrate on technique to get what I wanted out of my instrument. Now all I do is EQ a little for the room, or crank the treble 1/2 number if my strings are starting to go.

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Can't think of an amp with more knobs. It looks cool, sounds great, what more could you want.