I Admit It: I'm Hooked. I Bought Another MTD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Dec 17, 2003.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    This MTD 635 was made for gospel bassist Andrew Gouche and delivered at the 1999 NAMM show. It's been played a bit (probably on a few hit records!) but it sounds pretty darn good! Punchy and bright with a lot of "life." Off to a rehearsal with it tonight. I'll post impressions later. Meanwhile, here's some pics. Wenge board, maple neck, poplar body and the usual MTD pickups/electronics.

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks like the one Tim Cole has, no? Has differences but kinda similiar. And his is a6 string, ok the more i look at em they arent that similiar, just the color/shape :p

NICE BASS though...
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, beautiful axe. mike tobias always has done great work.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Don't I know it! It'd be really bad if I kept 'em all! ;)

These basses just sound...really...good...:cool:
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanx, John. And this one is, without question, the lightest sixer I've ever picked up. I mean a FEATHER! :D :eek:
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    What a great looking bass, Boogiebass!

My 535 has a maple/wenge neck too. I like the tone that you get due to the blend of the two neck woods.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks. Oh yeah, man. Definitely. Great combination.
  8. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    great! would it be possible to get some soundclips ? I'd like to hear how this wood combo sounds...
  9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Wow, another great one boogie!
    I'm getting my first 535 today - flamed rosewood top, mahogany body and wenge/weng neck. Hurry up, brown truck!
  10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

I love wenge!!!

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats, bb, looks sweet. There's another of Andrew's MTDs, a 535, at a local store. It's tempting but it can't really hang with my 6.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fantastic! :) I love the MTD bursts (then again, what *don't* I like about MTD's? Nothing!)

If I could afford it, I'd be hooked on MTD's myself. It would be cool to have more wood combinations.

Mine's myrtle over poplar, wenge/wenge neck. As you said, amazingly light... lighter than any bass I own, including my remaining four strings.
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yo boogie,

Is it due to the use of poplar in the body?

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I understand that there is a 12 step program for people like you (people like me too).

One of my students wants to buy my Azola Bugbass II. My wife said "great, you can go buy a snowblower" ... YEAH RIGHT. There is a 535 fretless with a C somewhere that has my initials on it. Come to think of it ... they all have my initals on it (Michael Tad Dimin) ... he...he...he

15. Even the more simple MTDs look incredible...:oops:
  16. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanks, Brad. I don't think this bass will give me any of Andrew's chops (unfortunately :D ) but it sure gives up mucho tone!

Played it for a couple of hours last night at a rehearsal and all I can say is WOW! Mighty. Very mighty.
  17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I may end up needing that 12 step program, Mike! :cool: Go for the fretless, I say. You know you need (want) it! ;)
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I would have to guess so, j-raj. But there's no neck dive whatsoever; perfectly balanced bass. Really quite amazingly light.
  19. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Probably won't have time for that any time soon, unfortunately. But maybe after the new year rolls in and my schedule calms down.
  20. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Congrats! Bet your gonna love it! :cool: