1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I ain't got no more "Flat"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EriktheRed, Mar 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    Up until recently I had a little Korg tuner with a button that said "Flat". Whenever I wanted to tune me bass down a half-step I would just press that button once and start tuning.

Now I have a tuner without that option, but I can adjust the hertz. What would have to dial it down to for a 1/2 step?

(Or do I totally have the wrong idea? God, I'm such a noob.)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    E: tune to Eb or D# instead.
    A: Ab or G#
    D: Db or C#
    G: Gb or F#

wcriley likes this.
  3. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    If you are referring to the 440 Hz adjustment, that won't work unless you can set it to 415.30 Hz. A half step down is not an integral (whole number) value, and many 440 tuner references can only adjust in whole number steps.

What tuner is it?

-

4. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Tune the A string to 440 using a tuning fork and then tune the E string 12th fret harmonic to the 6th fret of the A string. then retune A, D & G to the 5th / 7th fret harmonics.

I'm a big believer in learning to use your ears to tune rather than an electronic tuner. It's becomming a lost art to just re-tune mid song while playing if you hear yourself ever so slightly out of tune with the band.

5. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL

It's a Fender combination tuner and metronome and you're right, I can't do that; I just tried.

6. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier: I'll just tune the E string while fingering the first fret.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Isn't that a chromatic tuner? (That means it tells you the note.)

8. EriktheRed

EriktheRed

Dec 13, 2008
    Northern IL
    Didn't think it was, but checked it out again. I hit the "E" and saw "d"; thought it was rounding down (NOOB!!!) Then I looked closer and saw tiny little "#" by the "d".

IOW, I'm an idiot. But thank you all for your input.

Torrente Cro and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Glad to help.

For the record, you're only an idiot if you do this twice. You have to learn somehow.

;) :D