1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I already own a 15+10 cabinet. Is it more advantageous to pair it with a 4x10 or 1x18"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TolerancEJ, May 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I searched through the FAQs already. If I've overlooked a topic on appropriate cabinet combinations, I apologize in advance.

My question: If I already own a cabinet with a 15 & 10 inch speaker, would it be more advantageous to pair it with a 4x10 cabinet or 1x18 cabinet? Of course, this is assuming I stick within my allotted ohms requirements.

2. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    There's no advantage to pairing it with anything other than another of the same cab. For that matter a well designed 115/110 shouldn't need any help.

Robroy and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    There's an extremely important detail missing from your question. Can you guess what it is? :)

4. Sorry, no.

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    LOL, sorry if that came across as a little snarky, I apologize. ;)

You're asking for help finding a new cab to pair with your existing cab... but you don't tell us what kind of cab you have? ;)

MattZilla and TolerancEJ like this.
  6. No snarkiness detected. I just figured I forgot a techinical part of my request. I get it now. I avoided posting my details b/c my amp normally doesn't receive too much love in forums, although it had been a trusted workhorse for me for a long time.

I have an Ampeg B2 head with an SVT-1510HE cabinet. (You know how the recent years have the word "Classic" on the front? Well, I bought mine before they were considered Classic.) My head is good for 4 ohms and my existing 1510 is 8 ohms. My only Ampeg options are to pair it with are an SVT-410HE and SVT-18E both available at 8 ohms.

This morning, I happened to notice a used SVT-18E for a low price in my local CL. Another alternative is that GC always seems to have a few second hand SVT-410HE's around $399 seemingly in decent shape.

7. This must be the poison Mushroo! :D

Aqualung60, LowActionHero and Mushroo like this.
  8. Your amp gives 200W into 8Ω and 350W into 4Ω. You will gain a little from either added cabinet but don’t expect it to be twice as loud. It doesn’t work that way.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    TolerancEJ likes this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sounds like you've gotten the 'impedance thing' down: any of the 8ohm cabs you suggested will give you more. how much more will depend on what you get, where you use it, yada yada.

if you have the dough and you feel lucky: try it. be sure to get back and let us know what you think! thanks. good luck! :thumbsup:

TolerancEJ likes this.
  10. If you assume an 18" is going to automatically give you more bass just because it's an 18, then that would be a false assumption.

Staying within the confines of your question, I'd ditch the idea of getting an 18. I would go with one of those 4x10's that always pop up at GC. It will be a lot easier to find another 4x10 on GC than another 18", when you decide it's better to have cabs that somewhat match. That is of course if you don't find another 1510.

Meghans Dad and TolerancEJ like this.
  11. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    An SVT-18E is a 4 ohm cabinet. You won't be able to run it with your SVT-1510 using your B2 head. If you like the sound of your 1510, I would look for another. They are not real common, but can be found at decent prices.

Meghans Dad and TolerancEJ like this.
  12. dopejohnpaul

dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Macon, GA
    There are a lot of guys on here who will lambast you for using different speaker sizes at all, let alone in the same cab. Then adding to it? I’m surprised the floodgates haven’t opened lol.
    It’s a preference thing imo. What you hear on stage and what the audience hears are both very different things that are affected by a lot of different factors. Cabinet choice can affect both.
    Already having a 15” and 10” driver, you should be just fine as far as what your amp cab push. And Bassman Paul is dead on, you’re not going to get THAT much more out of whatever you add in. My ssuggestion, if you add anything at all, would be to find an 8 ohm 210 cab. Doesn’t add too much, but probably enough for you to utilize your amps’s Full power without as many added drivers or as much phasing/tonal issues.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  13. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    jefff100 likes this.
  14. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    There are a lot of people everywhere who deny that anything at all works because the thing doesn't comply with their prejudices. Like many of my era (60s - 70s) I spent my gigging life doing things all wrong. Wrong instruments and amps, mixed drivers, wrong stage setup, wrong tone. People came to see us, they drank and danced, requested their favorites, listened, went home happy and came back the next time we played. And that's how you do "all wrong" all right.

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the fact that you didn't at least pick up on how most folks around here recommend a second identical cab as being the best match tells me that the FAQs are not as useful as we think.

that means a snarky "search the stickys!" probably shouldn't be the default suggestion to throw at people.

16. otp57

otp57

Oct 10, 2016
    The best answer I can give you is to get the 4X10 cab.You may find yourself using that cab most of the time.
    A good 4X10 is very load and clear, I add a 1X15 to my 4X10 FOR LOOKS and little dirt (some call it muddy sound)
    With your 15 you can get old skool sound and with the 4X10 you can get almost any sound.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  17. DiMarco

DiMarco Guest

Feb 4, 2010
    Imho, everyone needs an 8x8 cab.
    So there's forums for ya - 10.000 different answers to one question.

Good luck!

18. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    Isn't it just a simple, closed question?

Anyway, my answer would be: 1x18.

19. So common sense is adding the same sort of speakers? Weird. I own an Ashdown C210-575 combo, (at 8ohm) and added an 8ohm 15inch speakercabinet and it gives me a LOT more power and "booom".... If I understand it right, it would be even better if I added a 2x10" cabinet..???

20. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Depends on the kind of music your play .. the 18 will be muddy but you will feel it. I would add the 4x10 cab then you have a 15 for the lows and 5x10s for everything else. That should push some air.

TolerancEJ likes this.