Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I already want a new amp after 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rexspangle, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Well I own a SWR bass 350 and a 4 ohm goliath jr 2x10. I like it, but it doesn't do a whole lot for me. I thought it would be good enough for practices and as a moniter as I run through the sound system, but it just doesn't have quite enough headroom. Elgh!!! I should have listened to my instinct and waited till I saved more. Although the cab was a great deal. Man nothings worse than figuring out what you want by knowing what you dont want and worst of all almost 2 grand later!!!!

Now it is back to the beginning saving and waiting. But this time I am going at least 1000 W and a 6x10 minimum!!!!!! Screw portability I want power!!!!

OK sorry, just trying to vent my frustration.

2. Is it possible to add a power amp?

Just wondering.

3. yeah i think it is, i dunno it seems like so much extra weight (although i did say screw portability) what do you plug em into anyways?

4. I think that one of Marcus' rigs had him using the Bass 350 as a preamp and the SM-400S as the power amp.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What exactly don't you like about your current rig?

Is it not loud enough or just hard to hear? Some 210's can't cut it alone, sometimes because of their volume capabilites but also just because of their physical setup. Put a 210 horizontal on the floor and stand close to it... chances are your ankles will have a good time but that's about all.

You could add another cab, maybe a 1-15, 1-18, 2-10 or 4-10. This would serve at least two purposes... it would get the 210 up nearer ear level and increase both your perceived and actual volume (this way your ankles AND your ears could have a nice time). BTW What impedance is your 210?... it's important to present the proper total load to your amp.

Then again, maybe you do need another amp, it's possible. IME I wouldn't expect a Goliath jr 2-10 to be able to function as a main cabinet, they typically don't have that much grunt alone.

This all hinges on what kind of sound you're after, what kind of volume you really need, how you'll be using this system (main sound source, just stage volume, just your monitor setup, etc.). In my case I've been able to do even my loudest gigs (lately) using a 400w (@4 ohms) head into an 8 ohm Eden D210XLT. If I'm on a shallow stage and have to stand close to it, I turn it on it's side.

One recommendation... try to get gear that can easily achieve the sound you want. If you get gear that doesn't have to work too hard to get your sound it will probably last longer.

Good luck.

6. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    the bass 350 is stable into 2 ohms (450w). whether your goliath jr. is 8 or 4 ohms isn't too much of an issue. just add another cab at some point (4x10 or 1x15). if you crank it, it should thump - adj. the gain up until clipping, then back off a hair. then adj. volume to taste. i don't think the 350 has a limiter - you might want to invest in a dbx unit.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I agree with Brad:eek:
    I don't think your amp is the problem. If you use that Bass 350 with a 6x10 cab or a 8x10 cab I'm sure you will be able to hear it. Too bad your 210 cab is 4ohm (showing off reading comprehension) because if it was an 8 ohm cab you sould throw an 18 or a 4x10 cab under it. If the Bass 350 can handle a 2ohm load you might try it anyway. More speakers is the answer.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    ooops :D

9. Yeah the thing is I just feel like I am going to blow my amp up. I am pushing it way to hard (I think) It competes with a marshall 100 w stack and a drummer who now has this ear piercince 19 inch explosion crash (courtesy of me :)) I just want more low end and headroom and I dont have the cash to get another cab and I am skeptical of running it at 2 ohms.
    :)

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    OK you are going against 4 (or 8?) 12" speakers with 2-10" :confused:

Why did you expect this to work? You'll need at least 8-10" to keep up with that.

Keep the head, get an 8-10" or two 4-10". End of problem.

11. its a 4x12 stack, And I know what I was thinking "I'm going to save some money"

Although I lost money

12. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I use an amp head rated 300watts at 4 ohms, and i am using a pretty big 4x10 cabinet (8 ohms i think) and i can compete and beat my friend's guitar amp, which is 100 tube watts at 4 ohms (he has a 4 ohm cabinet), i donno why, but i could just blast his into the garage door.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No way yer gonna move enuff air with that lil' box, dude! Not with the band you describe, anyway.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    One option you could try is to trade your 2x10 in for a very efficient 4x10. Bag End and EBS both make extremely efficient 4x10's that may be able to coax enough volume out of your 350.

If not, you'll have to spend more...:eek:

15. Ditto, get a good, efficient 4x10, or 8x10 and sell the 2x10. The amp's not the problem.

16. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    you can add an inexpensive woofer equipped combo amp and work the two together via a split (Y cable) input jack.

or you can get an active sub and plug to your amp.
    Warwick makes an active 300W sub.
    it feeds off the signal from your current amp but it has a power supply of it's own.
    that way you get seperate amps dealing with the lower and higher frequencies and not one struggling to deal both at the same time.
    this would be very efficient.

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Get another 4 ohm cab and run it in series with your 210. Then you are running 8 ohms, and have more speakers. Your wattage should drop to around 200w... But I bet with the added speakers it would be loud enough and also you would have no fear of burning up your amp. Good luck.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've never understood these kinds of irrational fears. The manufacturer rates the amp to drive a 2 ohm load but there are always people who are "skeptical." I suppose if SWR was really interested in getting more warranty work, they would over-rate their amps so people would blow them up more often! Doesn't seem likely, however. This is the mindset that forces people to change their oil every 2K miles even though the maker of the engine says that doing it every 5K is perfectly adequate.

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    The reasoning is simple. It enables them to say that their amp is a 300w amp when they may know that running it that hot will kill it in 5 years... too bad the warranty is only for 3 years...

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Is this your own theory or do you have facts to support this? If so, please provide evidence, I'd be interested to learn. Sounds like simple paranoia to me.