Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I also need help finding out if a song... really exsists

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Uh, there was some kid walking around singing this song, and I'm not sure if it's real... but it sparked past memories of something... wow. I don't make sense... but... here we go.

It's got kind of a reggae feel and it's like, "There are too many people in my neighborhood... too many people blah blah blah."

Is it from a show, is it a song... what the hell is going on?!?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Beats the Hell outta me.

...Pass The Dutchie.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My guess is that it's not real... I'm probably actually insane.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ahem: Last Toke: 11-1975

You've made it this long...

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a similar but I think even worse delemma that I was considering posting about. Many moons ago I taped some new age stuff off of the radio. One of the songs was a great acoustic guitar song with some spacey effects. I learned it on guitar but have completely forgotten everything about the song. I never knew who wrote it, nor it's name. I lost the tape - and I have no clue how I can ever hear that song again. Is it gone from my life forever? Is there any hope? :crying:

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's all the info you've got on it Joe? If so, I don't think I can help... or anyone. Spacey w/accoustic guitar... hmm. I like the song "Blow 'Em Off" by Monster Magnet, and it fits the description... sorta.

I think whenever a person hums a song, afterwards, they should announce what it was in a radio voice. *whistle whistle whistle* "Alright, and we're back, and that was "Gimmie Back my Bullets" by Lynyrd Skynyrd, coming up next we've got some Slayer on the way followed by Ween, Berlin, and REO Speedwagon.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I remember it had a drop D tuning, there were no other instruments (maybe light keys in the background), and there was a lot of harmonic stuff. I'm blank after that.

How bout girls you've lost. That's bad too. There's a lot of girls I dated when I was young that I'd love to know what happened to. I knew a great dancer named Anana that moved to California and that was the end of her. I wrote a song about her and made a crappy video of it in college.... gone ferever.... all that's left is the memories....

8. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    michael hedges ?

he was an avid acoustic detuner

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Most DJs DO do this... the times you don't hear a song annouced is when the station is being run... otherwise :eyebrow:. I know these things, I work in a station :).
    To your song though... I've come up with nothing. Sorry bro :p

Ray

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Here's a challenge to ID:
    I have it partially taped from Gilles Peterson's BBC Radio 1 show from some years ago.

A man and woman singing lines like: "our souls were lost, but now we're found, we're moving on, to higher ground". "Higher Ground" was sung a lot in the chorus. It's not the Stevie Wonder song though. It sounded like a '70s jazz-funk tune, with a long hammond organ solo with electric bass and drums. No horns or guitars as I recall.

I will try to get a snippet online if I can find the tape.

Any ideas?

11. Perhaps it's "Higher Ground" by Red Hot Chilli Peppers?

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    No, it's definitely not a version of the Stevie Wonder song.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

NO, I meant if someone is walking around outside singing a tune to themselves, after they are done, they should announce what it was, randomly and outloud, like a radio DJ

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Sounds like the song that used to be on sesame street, "who are the people in your neighborhood" lol. At least, thats what immediately popped into my head lol.

15. Questions like these would probably be the one reason when I would hate working in a record store.

Wasn't there a Kids in the Hall skit based on something like this thread?

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Just so you all know, it's "So many people in the neighborhood" by Ween off the new Quebec album... I know it was driving the rest of you people mad as well. ;)