1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I am a bassist!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pablo Fanque, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    I'm not very good. In fact, I'm not good at all. I'm pretty raw and new.

But I know that I'm a bassist because:

1. I love playing both my basses.

2. I no longer have an interest in my guitar or picking it up again (not that I never will)

3. I want to know the instrument inside and out. I want to master it.

4. I listen to the bass the music I have on, sometimes ignoring everything else.

5. I'm committed to playing my basses.

2. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Good for you. Keep it up and don't let Da' Man (Guitar Players) try and put you down.

3. We move the air Pablo!

If you want to learn your fingerboard, set a goal to copy all of your favorite tunes so that you can play along. If you do that right, you actually be taking lessons from your heroes and play along with them. You'll start to understand their patterns and riffs. After mastering several of them, you'll find you have your own style.

It's a buffet that guys like Mingus, Brown, Jamerson, McCartney didn't have. Let them teach you!

4. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA

1. I love playing mine as well
    2. I will ALWAYS play my guitars as much as my basses
    3. it took years, but that goal was archived
    4. I NEVER "ignore" the other instruments, just in case you need them to play off of on intricate stuff.
    5. Committed? if I wasn't my band mates would kick my a**.

enjoy your new love, and many years of happiness to you using them, and the many more basses you may find thru your years of playing.

5. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009

I don't dislike guitar. But I don't have an interest in picking it up right now. Even if I did, there's only so much time in a day. I barely can play bass as much as I'd like because of time limitations.

Oh well. It's not the worst problem one could have in life, is it?

6. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    you got THAT right, plenty of life experiences that dosent revolve around music left for ya.....

so the time and effort you put forth towards the music is just another outlet for stress, fun and relief from the daily grind. ( until your up from 9pm to 2am 3 times a month hauling gear ) :D

7. JacoSheehan

JacoSheehan

Apr 13, 2009
    i agree...playin music is such a good stress reliever...after a long day there is nothing more i want to do than to just play my bass