Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am a Boogie Boy...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paddy, May 27, 2005.

1. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    Got me a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout yesterday :hyper:

Oh I'm a happy little camper - was going to trade in my Hartke rig for another 4x10 and head (considered Schroeder but couldn't quite convince myself to get something I couldn't try despite the excellent reviews - sorry Jorg)

I bought them both yesterday and the sound is unbelievable. I've been trying, and struggling, to get my sound for donkeys years but I just turned the Walkabout on and it just happened - can't wait to get out there and gig with it. I bought the extension cab simply to push more air in a gig situation - won't need it in a rehearsal.

How they managed to get such a huge sound from something so small and light I'll never know but my back will always be grateful.

2 quick questions though.

1) Is it best to stack the 2 cabs one on the other or place them both side by side? I'm thinking with the passive radiators on both cabs its probably best to put them side by side.

2) I do have a little concern though, having read the manual they don't suggest running at 2ohm as it can overheat the power mosfets. I think both the combo and cab run at 4ohm (nothing written on either cab confirms this) giving a combined 2ohm which goes against the manuals recommendations. Surely the Walkabout extension cab is designed to work with the Walkabout combo with none of these problems?

(I know these will probably be answered by searching the forums but I wanted to let everyone know about my baby...)

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've been using the Walkabout Scout for over a year now and love it. I got the combo unit and sometimes use the head alone to power a bigger cabinet if the gig warrants it.

The internal speaker in mine is 4 ohms so I also can't run an extension cabinet. However, you can get the combo with an 8 ohm speaker and the extensions with 8 ohm speakers but I believe you'd have to special order them. No, it's not a good idea to run the amp at 2 ohms for any long period of time. I've done it with mine as a test and it stood up well but I wouldn't want to run all night at high volume like that.

Perhaps you could arrange with your dealer and Mesa to replace your cabinet with an 8 ohm model so you could get an 8 ohm extension cabinet for when you need it. It's doable I think but you'd lose a few bucks on the swap. If you don't know for sure if the internal speaker you have is 4 ohms or 8 I'm sure Mesa could tell you if you gave them the serial number.

It's an amazing little amp, isn't it?

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'll have to review my Walkabout manual, but I believe it said something to the effect that it could be run at 2 ohms but that using it this way could trigger the thermal shutoff and the amp would shut down until cool enough.

As I said, I've run mine at 2 ohms and it sounds fine. But never for an extended period flat out.

Truth is, even running into an 8 ohm load the Walkabout puts out enough clean power to drive any efficient cab pretty loud and most of them to the point where the speaker is distorting even though not driven to it's power limit. For example, I have a 1-15 cab loaded with a Kappa Pro rated at 400 watts and 8 ohms. My Walkabout head drives it to a very unpleasant level without running out of headroom. At this 8 ohm load it supposedly puts out only about 150 watts or a little more.

However, I don't need to use much eq boost so I'm not using up amp power. With a really bass shy cabinet, you may have to. The scout cabinets put out a lot of bottom end for their size. More than most 1-12s do I think; probably because of the passive radiator. I hear the 1-15 is even better.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I should have read what's on that link posted first. Seems the Walkabout will handle a 2 ohm load fine. So maybe I'll just go pick up the 4 ohm Scout extension that's available locally at a discount. It's not often I'd need 2 cabs, but every once in a while---

5. Congrats;
    Mesa makes good stuff, and I used the 400+, M2000, Buster and the Walkabout for years. The Walkabout is definitely able to handle a 2 ohm load without any problems.

6. I think the reason Mesa cautions against using a 2 Ohm load is just to cover their behinds. I've heard of people running the M-Pulse 600 into a 2.67 Ohm load outside on a blisteringly hot day, for over 8 hours, at high volume with nary a protest from the amp. Mesa's stuff is built to last and to take abuse; maybe the gear that they don't rate to 2 Ohms just doesn't perform (when run into 2 Ohms) within Mesa's heat tolerances, which are no doubt quite stringent. That doesn't mean that the amp can't handle it, realistically, especially with stories like the one above being quite common.