Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am a born again string changer

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I posted in the "how often do you change…" thread a day or two ago that I very seldom change my strings. That got me thinking that I was due for my once in a blue moon string change on at least on of my basses. I have an Essex P bass that I've had for about a year and had yet to change strings on it. The bass had "issues" out of the box. The tone was okay, but not the best. It buzzed like mad, mostly on the A and D strings. Bridge saddle adjustments made no difference and I ended up putting paper under the A and D strings and settling on medium action when I wanted it low. But, I did play it regularly (it's my only four string / primary slap bass) …well the stock strings were dead as doornails when I installed my string of choice for the first time. I had not been thinking very highly of this bass lately. I strung it up with a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (100,80,65,45) WOW! I had forgotten how good new strings sound. Here's the incredible thing - the mysterious buzzing problems that the bass always had with the old strings - gone! I had no paper in the nut slots, fresh string zing, and no buzz. I could dig in super hard on every string and it didn't buzz. That means that now I can set my action down a bit lower with these strings, and it was already playing so much nicer with the new strings - this is going to be a sweet playing bass. It's not just a sound thing, the feel is somehow different with new strings. It's like my fingers have more grip and it's easier to stop the strings accurately. I'd forgotten that. I'd say it was 50% sound, 50% feel and 50% inspiration but my playing on that bass sounded 150% better. I am a born again string changer, and a born again four stringer. I still don't want to buy nine strings every month - but I'll buy four. I'm having a little love affair with my P bass and I have a feeling that she's going to be seeing most of the playing time for awhile. And the big change for me is that from now on I'm keeping her strung with fresh Ernie's at all times. Yay for new strings!
    :bassist:

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    nothing extinguishes gas like falling BACK in love with you own stuff! good for you bro!