1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am a free man!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Otso, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    In Finland there's a thing called mandatory military service, and today was the last day of the 270 days of it! Just had to let you all know. :)

2. It's good for you. It builds character.

I think it actually would be a good idea for mandatory military service in the US.

I grew up and learned more about myself and the world in general in that 4 years than I have in the almost 20 since.

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Onnittelut!

Yep, feels a bit unreal when you get out from that place. Suddenly you're free again. :) I did a 240 days service in 97-98.

4. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I am all for mandatory service here too. Not like the starbuck- drinking college kids would ever let that happen though

5. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Yeah, that's what we need more of in the U.S. - government intrusion in our daily lives.

6. We have (had maybe even) the same in Sweden, I got a shrink paper saying I was not fit for it. Having to learn to kill without a choice, is probably somewhere against the human rights declaration (if they would have taken me to the judge trying to neglect my shrink paper, I would have claimed that).

Congrats to your freedom m8!

D.Don

7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Not like they shouldn't have an equal voice in the matter either...:rolleyes:

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    They're gonna have to introduce conscriiiiiiiiiiption!
    They're gonna have to take away my prescriiiiiiiiiption!

9. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Military service? I thought you got divorced!

10. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    There's always the opportunity to do civil or weapon-free service instead. But you must do some kind of service if you're a man, unless your doctor says you can't. If you refuse you're sent to prison.

The Swedish rules are much less strict than here, very few people go to the army there compared to Finland. When I was in the army, there were people from all over the world there too (Sweden, US, Canada, Saudi-Arabia...). None of them wanted to come but they had to because they had a Finnish citizenship. Didn't matter if they'd ever lived in Finland.

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Glad we don't have that here. I'd definitely rather go to prison.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I agree, but at least Finland seems to be more sensible about countries it declares war on...;)

Joke, joke!! :D

13. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    :D True.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

When I look at this thread, Google ads is showing this :

15. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I generally agree with compulsory civil service, with military service being one voluntary option.

16. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    It's mandatory here too.

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Bad, bad, bad idea! I don't want to have to deal with 100 kids a year who don't want to be there. We're as good as we are because we're an all volunteer force.

18. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I was just thinking the same thing.

19. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Finland.

20. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I think I've had my fair share of horse riding and toy guns.