Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I AM a glutton for punishment (aka The MTV video Awards thread)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Aug 30, 2004.

1. So yeah. I don't watch the station unless I wanna see more bootay than on TeleMundo...but really. Every year I go and make that resolution to never watch the VMA's. Every year I break the promise, because it's like driving past a car crash...a 3 1/2 hour car crash.

Now, did anyone else watch this? My horridly bad highlights:

The fact that Polyphonic Spree's performance did nothing to further their career, and if anything made them look like nothing more than a goofy cult of the Brady Bunch band,

And the other thing, that my Wife pointed out really, is that when Lil John was performing, another rappist came up on stage with a doo-rag on and a set of Ski-Goggles placed ever so perfectly on his skull, at precisely 33.72 degrees akimbo to his forehead, and as Wifey said "he looks like the monsters in Dig Dug"

Damn, that was funny...we ended up muting the t.v. and humming the dig dug theme. Good times.

Oh yeah...if Yellowcard can write a MORE annoying song, I applaud them. If the singer from Hoobastank could actually SING a note in key, I applaud them. If Good Charlotte would TRY to not suck oh-do-badly, I would applaud them too.

Oi Oi Oi!

2. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    i had never herd of Polyphonic Spree but when i was watching it i was like this is like the manson family meets the brady's. i found it very hard to not vommit watching just how bad mtv has gotten.

3. And it annoyed me how NOONE cared when Alicia Keys payed homage to Ray Charles. And she knew it. She looked annoyed.

But man, her top was killer. So were them GAP ads with Sarah Jessica Parker. Amazingly hot but-her-face. v:O) (j/k)

The Stevie Wonder performance was good, but a tad contrived...I hate when people wheel him out like a trophy to pepper their performances. It gets tired fast. :rollno:

I half expected Anthony Kiedis to waltz out and yuk up the whole song. But that nod went to Lenny Kravitz. v:O)

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I flipped over long enough to see Omarion (who?) announcing the nominees to best female video. He did so by singing clips of each song (poorly.) I never found out who won, but I don't really care if I ever know. I turned and never looked back.

5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I knew there was a reason I canceled my cable.

...Also, Polyphonic Spree scares me.

6. Is it the whole quasi-cult vibe that they don't necessarily give off, but you immediately think Koresh-ian type goings on?

I think their first album was pretty good. I think the new one is dismal. I like how it's essentially Tripping Daisy with a choir...only singing granola odes to God... happy summery music is good to me.

The whole Floating thing at the end, replete with maniacal facial expressions didn't help matters. Man, what a "thud" ending to a performance. No one knew it was done.

Like I said, kinda sad really. :scowl:

7. I did not watch it, usually it's ok, but I could tell this year it was gonna suck. ALOT. How did Alicia Keys do a Tribute to ray charles?

8. TV is the opiate of the masses. I prefer not to watch at all; I'd rather read & post on TalkBass (had to give up drugs quite some time ago)

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I think every year it just gets worse.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, ummm... That's the first time I had ever heard that Yellowcard song, & I kinda liked it... It must wear on you after a while, but I gotta tell you guys, that singer from Hoobastank is really, REALLY bad. He couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Is it just me, or is it Alicia Keys turn to go, "OH I'm popular now, its time to get fat"? Another thing, yea,, that top. You could totally see her nipples... & they weren't where they were supposed to be... They pointed DOWNWARD, like old ladies w/ tubular breast disease.

12. True man, but I just think Alicia is kinda hot. Wierd nip nip or not. :)

Freaky, she walked out and said a remembrance speech about Ray.

The crowd didn't care one iota....

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i didn't watch this year

it is doesn't bother me at all

14. Remember a few years back when "Big Willie Style" left Stevie sitting on his rolling piano throne out while they were striking the set for the "Wild Wild West" performance?

I will join the "I am afraid of the Polyphonic Spree" cult.

I only saw the tail end of the Lenny/Stevie thing. (While I was emptying the litter box...)

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey don't talk about my neighbors like that!
    :mad:

brad cook

;)

16. I think Alicia Keys won that...I can't remember, I was kinda playing bass and half watching it at the time.

The first time I heard that Yellowcard song I thought it was a decent song, but after hearing/seeing the video 50 million times I just grew sick of it. As for the singer of Hoobastank (stupid ass band name IMO), I have no comment. His singing was so horrible I have nothing to say.

17. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    yeah the singer form hoobastank was horrible. i know little about them but they were on howard stern awhile back and they sang the same song and i thought he sounded awesome...so maybe just abad night for him

18. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Yeah.. uhh.. thanks. Still don't care.

19. Hmmm. I wonder if his in-ears were working...I just don't think he can sing.

In the "I'm popular, now I'm heavier" sentiment: we note Beyonce.

She was never super small, but now she's bottaylicious.

One more question: when Linkin Park won the award and Mr. Han, (their DJ) went up with the lead rapper guy and some heavy-set gent, he introduced him as his partner, then said my producer....do they have a production company like the Neptunes? Or was he Mr. Han's "partner"? Don't matter either way, just the delivery was a little wierd, my Wife asked the same thing. What I'm getting at is WHY was that guy even upo there? He didn't produce the video. He isn't in the band...and I don't believe he's produced anything by them. eh, either way, not a big Linkin Park fan either. The only thing ever interesting about them was the way they produced the guitar tracks to sound all choppy and syncopated.

AND, lastly, did anyone else get the feeling there was a little strife in Outkast land when Big Boi (is that his handle?) said "And for the millionth time, 'Hey Ya1' goddamnnit"

Seemed a little rude to me. Maybe it's a sentiment they both share, as the song IS played out.

20. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Just remember, people who watch MTV don't give a flying FART about anything but the latest "Rap Artist", because anything else ain't muzik, it's just noize. WAKE UP AMERICA! It's NOT music. It's spoon-fed diarrhea, and the public likes it. That's why my band is breaking up- we can't find a choreographer that's worth a damn here in Texas. They all want us do the two-step. We really want to be a VALID BAND, that's why we quit taking music lessons and sold all our crappy instruments like 57 Strats, 68 Les Pauls...I gave my 62 Jazz away, cuz it din't look right wit' da blingbling gold hardware, besides, it be OLD. So, we ran, not walked, down to the Guitar Sphincter and made a deal on some turntables and some B-52 subs and some wireless mics. Then we saw the loopin' software and we was like, "DAYum!" So now we gots to learn usselves how to be fly an' steal, er, "incorporate" other peoples old-skool lines into our new beats.
    Just remember, people- it ain't about the music. Nobody really cares, as long as you gots lotsa half-nekkid ho's givin' it all up on your stage. That and a coupla-thousand watts goin' thru the 18s!!! As long as you look fly, you got it made!