1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am a PC

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crispygoat, Sep 21, 2008.

1. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
  2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I like the second one where it sounds like they're saying PCP over and over again.

3. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    horrible. that is all.

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Actually, I think make quite good points about elitism and stereotyping in a roundabout way. So in that respect they're not a bad response to the iSmug commercials.

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Agreed, Bill. And the blogger's comments are pretty elitist and asinine.
    Oh noes, people who work for a living are using PCs?:rolleyes: The ads emphasize how diverse the user base is--nothing wrong with that, IMO. Now if they went into full attack mode, they could show someone with a Mac sitting in Starbucks for three hours showing off their logo.:D

6. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    I find them less annoying than the Mac ads... But that's not saying much.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    If a Mac is a computer, and you own it, than techically isn't is a "personal computer"?

What exactly is a PC?

8. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    I saw a hot latino chick in one of the adversiments. I love latino chicks. I love those commercials.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Where isn't there an "I'm a PC, I use Linux" guy ?
    Truth is, Windows doesn't need to be advertised. People either know and like the product or don't care at all and will use whatever is installed to play Solitaire and chat on MSN.

10. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    The Mac "im a mac, Im a pc" ads really burn the people at Microsoft corporate.

They're going to spend $100M running these ads to make themselves feel better.

Why?

Do you really think there's that many people out there who won't buy a windows-based computer because it's "image isn't cool." From a business perspective there are much more people running older Windows systems that should be up-dated.

Mac has way less than 10% share (closer to 4% depending on the study)...not worth the focus.

A bruised corporate ego is a expensive thing.

11. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    These are just mediocre diversity ads...bland and boring.

The other new PC ads crack me up. They gave a bunch of people a "new" OS to try. They all loved it, clearly this was edited to hell and back cause everyone I know would have gone into that room and said "This looks a lot like vista, and it just crashed on me....twice."

Microsoft with the ad campaigns is really trying to do damage control. They are slowly but surely loosing market share to apple and the ipod/phone will see that the trend continues. Vista was an unfinished operating system and it makes them look like amateurs (like back when ME came out, except this time they have viable competition).

They are also fighting google in the web market as good google starts to offer free online document and office tools. Not to mention they are loosing control of web browsing to Mozilla (thank god).

Soon Microsoft will be a shadow of what it once was, unless they start embracing standards, and releasing FINISHED products....my .02

EDIT: I thought it was only fair to tell ya'll that I'm a mac user...I was a PC user, I know the OS inside out. I had to work on a MAC at my last job...as soon as I got used to it I bought one. They make the hardware and the software, so everything runs beautifully, they make great hardware innovations that other companies are not capable of and the OS is more stable and simpler to use.

12. The astronaut in the 3rd commercial is standing in area I used to work at regularly. Neat.

The commercials are fine, but it doesn't matter even if they are horrible: I'm still a pc guy.

13. Not when the company has more money than it probably knows what to do with. :p

14. I like the Bill Gates/Seinfeld ads.

I don't spend my days thinking about PC vs Mac. I have better things to do.

15. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    All I know is that my Mac hasn't crashed or ever given me problems. The PCs I've owned however...

16. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    Wait... what?

Really, without getting into a pissing match, I'm glad you like Macs. I'm also glad I like PC's. But the only great hardware innovation they (Mac) made was finally dropping the PPC CPU's (made by IBM, BTW) that they swore was lightyears ahead of the Intels that they finally got on board with.

17. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
  18. HomeBrewTJ

HomeBrewTJ

May 16, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Then you must not be using it in a production work situation. I've used macs and pcs for the better part of 10 years for design, photo editing, video, etc., you name it, and they all crash given the workload.

19. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Actually video and photo editing are a big part of my job, and still no issues with the Mac.