Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am a wack-job...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lakerkobe, Jun 21, 2002.

1. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Never played bass before. Just bought a Dearmond Pilot Deluxe 4. Whenever I start something new I tend to go overboard. Now I am already thinking of buying another bass. Jackson CM4J. Any thoughts on this bass? It looks decent to me. For some strange reason I bet I will have 3 or 4 basses before I even take a damn lesson. Yes. I am odd.

2. If you just started and already have a bass, why the hell would you need another one? :confused: You don't even know yet if you want to keep playing.

Take that money and spend it on some lessons. It'll be better for you in the long run.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The title of this thread sounds dirty. (teehee)

Gunnar is right, spend the money on some lessons. No use havin' all those basses if you can't play them.

4. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Yes... I suppose lessons would be a great idea. Assuming money is not a problem and assuming I will like playing... is that Jackson bass a decent bass? Better or worse than the DeArmond Pilot Deluxe I bought? I am a complete newbie and know virtually nothing about basses yet. Thanks.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Buying that Jackson IMO would be akin to buying an Accord to go next to the Camry in your garage. Doesn't make any sense. Personally I like the DeArmond a lot better than the Jackson, but it's a matter of personal taste.
    You may want to get an amp next, and a tuner, and a strap. And lessons. Want to go overboard? Practice a lot, splurge on lessons.

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I totally agree here. You might wanna grow some calouses first, and learn to play a few licks. How are you learning? How do you know what sound you want out of a bass until you learn how to make sound come out of it?

Definitely get lessons. Especially in the beginning. You need someone to help you with posture and how to work your hands, or you could really torque your wrist, especially on your fingering hand, and that would be bad.

7. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Yeah you guys are right. Forget the second bass. I ordered an amp and and a tuner and strap... so I'll just need to wait for those to come in. Thanks for the advice.

8. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Got one... 20 foot mutable. Thanks for the concern.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you really want to go overboard, why are you thinking of Jackson? It seems to me a Fodera, or at least a Lakland, is in order.

10. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Well... I suppose at that point money IS an issue.

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have never played a Jackson that can even touch the Pilot Deluxe.

Like the others, I would recommend that you not buy anything else right now and save that money until the time is right for a second bass.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you plan on jamming with others, you should buy a 100watt amp at least.

That will only barely cover you for playing with a guitarist or two and a fairly agressive drummer.

Peace
    Nick

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    :D :D

14. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Well I could not pass up a deal, so I bought a Washburn XB-900 for $300 to complement the DeArmond Pilot Deluxe that I got for $240. Not the best basses in the world from what I understand, but certainly good deals on decent instruments. And yes... I have ordered a couple videos so I can actually learn to play these bad boys.

15. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    :rolleyes:Lessons would be a lot better than videos. Are you interested in music or collecting?

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Since you can't play yet, buying a bass for how it looks is an excellent idea.

It won't matter how it sounds :rolleyes:

17. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Actually I did not buy them for their looks, but based on a recommendation from a neighbor who has played bass for 15 or so years. He'll be supplementing the videos with some lessons as well.

18. the great one

the great one

Jan 25, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    (In Mr. Burns' voice) - Excelent!:D

19. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Now that's what I'm talking about.