Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am allmost crying, help me get the info on the Mesa 1516B cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Galdal, Oct 13, 2005.

1. :help: :bawl: Help me, need info for the Mesa Boogie 1516B Bass cab.

I bought a old Mesa 1516b, had to change both 6" (couldn`t find rep-set for them) I have now Eminence. The 10" got rep-set. Haven`t done anything with the 15". The Bullet-horn is maybe broken or somethig, can`t say I can hear it. The cab is old, it has no info on the back, just one input and one switch, 3-ways.
    I don`t think there are no Crossover but shouldn`t it be??
    Does somebody out there have any info on these cabs? I use a Mesa 400+ head and the 1516b have some strange buzz at some frequense. What could this be?
    I also uses a Mesa 2x15 who kick ass

I hope somone can help me!!!!pliiz

All the best!

Tore

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There HAS to be a crossover inside, or else the tweeter would blow immediately.

Best of luck.

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have an older Mesa catalog, but I'm not sure how much info is on it, or what info you're looking for....with all those different speakers in it, I'm sure it has a crossover.

4. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Buck up and get a grip, man. It's just a piece of equipment - it's not like someone has a gun to your child's head or something. Sheesh.

5. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    He's from Norway, and his English translation is pretty good considering. Just a different language and culture. I don't think he needs to be told to calm down . . .

6. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Almost crying? C'mon. A little perspective, please.

7. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its translated English. Crying = Sad. Would you think saying your sad about it would be extreme? I lived in different parts of the world, its pretty common to express passion about physical objects in any event.

8. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Enough of putting words in the mouths of others. Perhaps we should let Galdal speak for himself.

On another thread someone posted the word EMERGENCY in their title, and it was some kind of "which bass should I buy" thread. I told him an EMERGENCY is standing chest deep in a rice paddy with grenades going off around you. This was a bass purchase, and I told the guy to get a grip.

I offer no apologies for either response.

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    As enthralling as your comments are, can you kindly leave this thread alone and let people actually post something of value?

Anyway, on topic, have been scrounging around and have found that the cab is rated at 400 watts at 4 ohms so you should have no problem using it with the 400+. It does (or at least should) have a crossover. The versions of the cab I've seen all had more than one input on the back and also had a variable tweeter setting.

As for the noise, do you get it when using any other cabs with the 400+, if you can answer this then we can get closer to the source of the problem.

10. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Cute. Was I wasting your precious time?

11. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Pipe down. Give the guy some advice and stop spewing.

Anyway, if I recall, the B at the end of the 1516B means Electro-Voice speakers? I would contact Boogie and EV to check up on that. Make sure you have the right speakers for that cab.
    If you don't know, then does it have a "cabinet within a cabinet" for the 10" and two 6" speakers? I would think so. Look for dimension charts for cabinet size and start asking different manufacturers what speakers should be in that cab. I'm not sure about the crossover/tweeter, but I would deffinately expect it to have one.
    What is the sound like? Is something rattling?

12. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    You're correct, the 15 is in one "cab" and the 10 and 6s are in the other. I can't remember where it was but I remember seeing EV speakers and they had a 6" (don't hold me to this, I may be wrong).

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I admit I have no idea what series the speaker was though. Did you check the t/s parameters for the Emminences to see if they're suitable, if they aren't then that might be one reason for your cabs to not perform to their best. Actually, I just realised, since you said you got direct replacements for the 10", you must know what the correct speaker is, if you could tell us that it would help.

14. I`ve been using it together with the 2x15 cab, and haven`t noticed any buzzez using two cabs. But alone it buzzez on higher volume..

thanks

15. The 10" is the orginal, it had a hole so a "speaker-repair man" fixed it. The 2x6" was the only one from Eminece...maybe try too check another trade..Still have the orginal, bit they have no info and the "speaker-repair man" coukdn`t get hold of any "rep-set" for them. It`s like no chance to get boogie to deliver to Norway, since it`s such a small country far far north:)

The buzz seems to me are coming from the lower section, 15"...but only at some frequensies...B on the e-string of my Ric 4001.

16. I wounder what kind of crossover there sould be, the trades (and watt, ohm) of the speakers and bullet-horn.

:)

17. Yes, the 10", 2x6" and the bullet-horn are in one cab and the 15" are in one.

18. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If you had a pro replace the speakers, chances are he should have fitted the correct ones. I would have thought that the buzzing was likely to be amp or bass related but since you say you don't get it with the 2x15 I'm kinda stumped.

It is 400 watts at 4 ohms btw, got no info on the crossover.

19. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    This is just a shot in the dark, but if the buzz is coming from the 15, first try tighting the screws that hold it in place, they could have likely loosened up during that cabinets life. Just be sure not to over tighten them, turn until you feel a little bit of pressure.

20. Thanks, Will check the screws...
    Tried to e-mail mesa/boogie like ten times, but get the e-mails back to me...weird :confused:
    Can e-mail others but not them...are they able to Not receive from non US countries?? I tried to send to internationalservice@mesaboogie.com and info@mesaboogie.com

Any opinions out there?