1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am an idiot, bass repair, took bridge off without destringing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by blonderake, Sep 10, 2008.

1. blonderake

blonderake

Sep 10, 2008
    :)

2. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

I don't know what kind of bridge has a plate on the back.
    Why didn't you post pictures of it?

It looks pretty normal in the one picture. Is it bent or what?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    He is probably referencing the neck plate.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Bridge - where the ball-ends of the strings are

Neck plate - where the neck connects to the body. Is that what you lossened?

5. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Did you just loosen the strings or take them off altogether? To be sure you should remove them entirely - take the neck off again and make sure the mating surface to the body is still clean and undamaged so it still sits flat on the body.Screw it back on tight, then restring it again. If the action is still high, then you may want to tweak the truss rod a little to make sure it is still good and see if you can adjust the strings down a bit by straightening the bow on the neck...

6. Thangfish

Hah... silly me.
    I guess the pictures make slightly more sense than I originally thought!
    :bag:

Ok, take the strings off!

Take the 4 screws out that hold the neck on.

Remove neck.

Inspect neck and pocket for splinters or chunks of wood (are DiPinto's wood?) sticking up and clean out the mess. Probably bunged up the screw holes. Check screws for straightness.
    Reassemble.

7. You loosened the neck with the bass fully strung and tuned up to full tention?

Wow! You should consider leaving well enough alone from now on.

However, if you got it put back together correctly, there's no reason the action should be raised up. I guess it is possible that the neck is seated incorrectly or you maybe stripped the screw holes. Nothing that can't be reasonably fixed.

Did you turn anything else? Like maybe the truss rod adjustment or change any of the bridge settings?

Don't crap bricks. It's unlikely you killed it or anything. It just may take someone with a little more experience to get it back to where it should be.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT loosen the "bridge screws" on your "car's tires."

9. Thangfish

:D
    :trys not to laugh:

10. That's the ticket. Chances are that you have some wood burrs or splinters sticking up in the neck pocket and preventing the neck from seating properly. Take them out and you'll probably be OK.

And work hard on THINKING before you act. Like my dad said in practicing carpentry, "No matter how many times you cut it off, it's still too short."

11. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Yeah,,you really dont wanna go unscrewing the neck even with the strings at a very low tension. Chalk that up as a good learning experience.

After looking at that last pic, it looks to me like your neck isnt fitted back to neck pocket tight enough.

Take the strings off completely, and refit the neck to the pocket, then tighten the neck screws real good. If after restringing, your action is still to high, look around for a small rectangular piece of wood, business card ect... this could have been a shim put in the bottom of the neck pocket to give your bass a better action.

12. Thangfish

Maybe I should add:
    When you reassemble it, get all 4 screws started first, before you start tightening. Just before they snug up, check that the neck is aligned in the pocket. It is not abnormal for there to be a SMALL amount of lateral play before the screws are tightened.

13. blonderake

blonderake

Sep 10, 2008

14. blonderake

blonderake

Sep 10, 2008

15. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    :eek:

This makes my head hurt.

16. I'd leave the pick-ups alone. They most likely have foam on the back. That's why you can push them in. If you screw them down the foam collapses, if you loosen the screws the foam will push them out (at least for a while).

17. Uhh, this may not be the right time to ask, but why were you taking the neck off anyway?

18. blonderake

blonderake

Sep 10, 2008

19. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    was going to ask the same question.

As fars as your Pups .. leave them the way they are .... they are fine

p.s. I have that same screwdriver and tuner :bassist:

20. Take it as a challenge to fret properly and play without smashing the strings.

No more tinkering with what you know not of, mmkay?