Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am an idiot...please help me!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I_am_Rage, Jul 1, 2002.

1. it was 12:00 at night and i was bored so i looked at my Fender Bassman 100 and said to myself, "Let's take a look inside." That was my first mistake. Boredom and curiousity are a terrible mix with a teenager. Anyway so I unscrew the speaker from the amp and just look at it. Didn't touch the wires or anything...just looked around. I start screwing it back in and i realize that i am missing 2 screws. So i am frantically looking for these 2 screws and can't find them anywhere. So I take the speaker out again and I find them stuck to the back of the speaker (magnets i am guessing...I know nothing) so i was like cool i found them. I get it back together and turn it on and it is making a humming noise and i am not getting sound. So i was oh Sh*t. what the hell did i do. So i take it all apart and make sure everything is connected and try to play with it again. It is still giving me this hum. This is about the time when i start to cry and curse myself for being so stupid to open up an amp that you know nothing about. Anyways, I am still crying and cursing at myself and i have no one else to turn to but the talkbass members. Can you help me get sound back from the amp. Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

Please don't laugh and make fun of me. I was bored and ignorant. :(

2. DOnt panic man..

If you only took the speaker off, its a small problem for sure.. Take it to an electrician... Maybe even a friend of yours or an older person could help you solve the problem..

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    This may sound wierd but check everything but the amp. Ya know, your bass, the cable, the wall plug your plug into, everything. Maybe its something that youll laugh once you see how you over looked it...maybe. :D

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I all you touched was the speaker, I cant think of any reason that there would be a humming noise.

Its probably something else.

Peace
    Nick

5. Hey man its fine to tinker.. thats how i learnt to fix the,.. now its a career. ;)

The wires on the back of the speaker... Maybe youve dislodged them. take the speaker out and look at the connectors on the back.

Second, Look in the box for any circuitry aka A crossover. It usually has a few large coil looking things etc. Check any wires going to that and make sure they aren't loose.

Second, check your speaker cable. Is it plugged in right? Turn the volume on your amp down and turn the amp on, does it still hum???

Can you try another speaker? Hum is usually poor grounding or the amp picking something up. A speaker is really just a coil that has electrical impulses through it. thats all. A coil and a magnet. No hum making stuff in there.

:D:D

Merls

6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I always do stupid stuff like that and break everything :| I don't learn though. Actually, I have now. I've stopped breaking everything.

7. Well just be methodical, if you go to pull something apart, start simple. say take the main board out, then walk away and put it back in

Learn techniques of hmm that component feels loose.

I went through "oh its f***** after i touched it' stage. but now i keep going back to it over and over until i find some way of fixing it.

Merls

8. I did that...I changed the instrument cables, plugged it into two different outlits, and anyother small thing.

Only when the volume is up it makes the hum noise. I can hear my bass a little but very low and muddy.

I'll try again later when i have a clear head and I'm awake.

9. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Make sure you are using the cables properly. Instrument to amp= Sheilded. Amp to speaker= Un-Sheilded.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Try turning the volume up and down and listen to how that affects the hum.

Wherever the hum is comming from its probably before the actual amplifier if its actually loud or changes in intensity with the volume.

Try reversing the wires on one of the speakers maybe. There is a chance that they are out of phase if it has more than one speaker. That could make the bass sound low, but I dont know about the hum.

Peace
    Nick

11. What does that mean?

The hum does get louder i think. And i didn't touch anywires or take them out of place so I don't think reversing wires would help. I just don't understand how it was working fine to a hum. This sucks.

12. Hmmm.....This is fricking weird. I just plugged my bass into the amp....and what do you know, it is working fine!! I don't know what i was doing last night but all of a sudden it is working... I didn't even have to do anyhting. I feel like an idiot now but also very relieved. :D

Anyway sorry for wasting your guys time but THANK YOU for helping me. Today my new Avatar supposed to come in too!!! What a Beautiful day! HEEEEEYYYYYY! :rolleyes: (U2, anyone, anyone)

13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Let all of us know what you think if your Avatar.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dont let it get away!

:cool:

I am Bono; hear me roar!

Peace
    Nick

15. I know what thats like. You're really tired, not concentrating, and it just "doesn't sound right" when in actual fact you probably had forgotten to turn the bass up or something silly. I've done that before. Thats why i keep going back to things. Always. The next day etc.

Merls