1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Am Asexual

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Oct 28, 2013.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Ditto.

2. OP, You mentioned a while back that your church would disagree with your being a virgin. This sounds to me like a very conservative church, at least with respect to sexuality. You also commented about how becoming preggo is a scary thought.

So, is "asexuality" the new "I'm deeply religious & abstinent"?

3. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    I'm asexual

In fact I'm a goddamn sexual tyrannosaur.

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have no problem with the idea of a person being uninterested in sex. My sister-in-law was like that, absolutely zero interest in boys or dating or anything. Her mother thought she was a lesbian. Then about ten or twelve years ago - pow. Met a guy, went head over heels, married him, two kids now.

The point being, I'm totally happy to affirm Casting Thunder's feelings and way of life. Nothing wrong with it. But I don't see a need to focus on "identifying" x or y way as an "orientation." Not if that's supposed to mean that this "identity" is some inherent, monolithic, unchanging thing that's supposed to define who she is and railroad her future life in some particular direction. I've gone on record in an earlier thread (that got closed) that I think the whole notion of "sexual orientation" in that sense is a very problematic construct that distorts and obscures more than it explains. She feels what she feels and lives the way she lives - no problem, and no need to make more of it than that.

5. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I don't care, and quite frankly you could have done everyone a huge favor by keeping it to yourself.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    The singer in my old band is all about the nookie. I don't get it. I like having sex, but I don't find the time involved in the actual act is worth the time involved interacting with random skanks. He gets his validation from the fact that women want him. Personally, I don't really care about sex that much.

If I don't want to spend anytime actually talking to her, I really don't want to stick my........ Well.......

7. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    No big deal. I am hetero, I love sex, but have no problem understanding that other people do not see it the same way.

So you are asexual? Well, I do not like bananas. Never have. So we both have something we don't like, that most people do like. I guess it's stuff like that that makes us individuals.

8. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I have not. I was on hormonal birth control for awhile and I noticed that my libido dipped when I went off; at its height, I thought cuddling would be nice for maybe three minuets. I don't think my low libido is a problem, so I see no reason to get it checked.
    I'm a (bad) Catholic, if I did get knocked up adoption would be my only option. That said, I watched most of my youth group friends pair off and become sexually active in high school. I just set there like "abstinence is a great concept, why does it have this huge failure rate? Wait, you like doing it? What?:confused::confused::confused:"

9. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Then why'd ya bother to click on the thread?, let alone feel the need to respond. :rolleyes:

10. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    I completely understand if libido isn't a problem. If your body functions like normal and you still have no interest, than that is just who you are IMO.

I was suggesting it because if your body isn't functioning, regardless of interest, then that I could see being a medical issue. As your link suggests, so I'm sure you already thought of it.

11. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    Function and desire are two totally different things.

12. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    Yeah but they can tie together. If you don't have function, there is a good chance you won't have desire. I have exeperienced flat-lined testosterone. I had no interest in sexual interaction whatsoever. Now that my testosterone is elevated, I even think of sexual relations with people that are not "my type".

13. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    Yes, but I don't trust a little piece of plastic which has multi-level instructions, that has to be applied when the person involved have to be aroused, which is known to diminish judgment.
    Eh, Asexuality Awareness Week was last week and I did next to nothing about it. My other post got derailed on this topic, so here I am.

14. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Well, I guess I am in almost the same boat as Ironbar here.

The OP made the impression that an honest response was wanted. What if all heterosexuals here made their own thread titled "I am heterosexual"? Why would they do that?
    I guess this is probably about getting accepted when you for some reason feel different.

My take on that is that we are all different in some ways. What is supposed to make this particular difference interesting, especially considering that TalkBass is a bass forum?
    I do not see sexual orientation or non-orientation as an issue for being accepted in a bass playing forum. It would be much more shocking if one said "I'm indifferent to bass content in music" and still wanted acceptance on TB.

15. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    You should find a guy like Sheldon Cooper from big bang theory. Do you have OCD? Just wondering. I have a co worker of mine who is 36 years old and still a virgin. His OCD can be crippling, and the thought of bodily fluids and everything is to much for him to even want a girlfriend. He has absolutely no need or care for sex. He is a prisoner of OCD and battles with it everyday. It's pretty sad. But he is a genius so my work works around it and helps him deal.

16. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    Yeah, I guess I'm not sure I get what the awareness thing is either. I've never heard of people not accepting someone being asexual. Maybe there are cases of hate crimes or laws that discriminate, and I just haven't heard of it, I don't know.

17. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I do not. There tends to be two camps of Aces, those that are sexually repulsed, and those like myself who are sexually indifferent.

18. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Condoms aren't the only way to protect oneself.

19. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    This is good solid advice. Being who you are.

You're probably missing out on some of the nastiest games people can play. This is a good thing to miss.

Like my Late Friend used to say " Love is the only game two people can play and both loose,"

Enjoy your life being you.

20. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Don't worry. There are a lot of girls with Daddy issues so you can still be current.

I am also finding many with Grandaddy issues. So you should be good for the long run. I never expected this.

Same advice I gave to this individual. Be your self and accept who you are.