1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Am Asexual

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Oct 28, 2013.

1. I'm not really seeing the sex is bad vibe myself.

It's not about finding the right person. Some people just don't wanna have sex. Period. If they want to at some point down the line, fine, but don't attach that the "right person" trope. That's for people who recognize themselves as definably sexual.

To you and to me? Yea. To others? They couldn't care less.

2. I feel that it should be noted that there's also a distinction between asexuality and celibacy. Asexuality the is lack of sexual attraction. Celibacy is the decision not to engage in sex regardless of sexuality.

3. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Of course, with the proper precautions in place you won't get knocked up or an STD.

With that in mind, I think you may be missing out on an aspect of life that's quite wonderful. Most women that I know, wife included, enjoy sex quite a lot and feel that it enriches their lives. Having a good mate helps a lot too.

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.

I'm picking up the undercurrent with such admissions as "Sex is Yucky. Yuck!"

And "good job OP, there would be less mistakes"

I mean really, is that what sex is? A mistake?

When I say wait until you are ready; it's not about finding the right person, it's about knowing that you've reached a point in your life where you hold yourself in high enough esteem to not allow yourself to be taken advantage of. It's about knowing that you are mature enough to handle the responsibility of sexuality.

That's the mistake that people often make and in some cases people are forced or duped into something they aren't ready for. But let's just blanket statement that sex is a "mistake" or sex is bad instead of attributing it to say; being given bad advice, orrrr being abused (not to trivialize), orrrr not being brought up with the ability to think critically, orrrr succumbing to societal and cultural pressures.

Don't get me wrong. I get it if you aren't into it. It just causes me to wonder if there is a lot of misinformation going around with regards to sexuality and if people are basing the lifestyle decisions based on that misinformation.

5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    This is nuts...it just doesn't compute...I mean "Abstinence, Drugs and Rock&Roll" just doesn't have that "ring" to it...

6. just pointing out the "how do you know, you haven't tried it" argument is utter crap.

7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Agreed. Rock & Roll! :bassist: ;)

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont know, it seems like a valid argument to me.
    How can you know for sure that you do not like something if you havent tried it?
    You may not like the idea of something, but until youve experienced some things you really dont know what theyre like.

9. MetalSearGolid

MetalSearGolid Cyperpunk Cowboy

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    +1. You can't know if you'll like something before you've tried it under optimal conditions. Though I'll counter with that you can accurately hypothesize whether or not you'll like something based on other similar activities.

10. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    But if you have zero interest in it, that's pretty much the same as not liking it. Just by default if nothing else, is it not?

11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Agreed. I don't want to do heroin cause I know it's a dark path. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like it. Although withdrawal seems unpleasant enough for me to not like it.

I want to schtoop my wife because I've tried it and it's awesome. Our Simultaneous Mutual Orgasms are better than any high I've ever experienced. But that's a joy that you can't know unless you try (with someone else, you don't get to have Simultaneous Mutual Orgasms with my wife, back off jack).

Prior to that I've tried sex with other people. It was fun and I did not contract a disease nor did I experience any unwanted pregnancies.

12. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think I could securely say that I wouldn't like being in a car accident, even though I haven't experienced it.

13. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont know, there have been things Ive had zero interest in but have tried anyway, only to find out that I like them.
    Not liking something by default isnt the same as not liking something because youve tried and have come to the conclusion that it isnt for you.

14. MetalSearGolid

MetalSearGolid Cyperpunk Cowboy

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    Not necessarily. I used to have no interest in ever reading LOTR. But I read it and to this day it is one of my favorite book series I have ever read (read the Hobbit too!)

I also used to have no interest in having sex. Until I finally had sex. Now I love it.

15. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Theyre not all bad. Ive been in a handful.
    Like anything, they run the gamut of extremes.
    Some could destroy ones life, others are a scratch on the bumper.

Though youre example isnt that great, as car accidents arent really something one chooses to be involved in, sometimes theyre unavoidable.
    Youre example made analogous to 'sex' would be more akin to rape, not indulging be free will.

16. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, that is true, however, it is also intrinsically bad. Now, doing heroin, as it has been mentioned already, is a choice, but also intrinsically bad. You could die. It damages your body. I don't have to try that of my own free will to know that I don't like it.

You could over compartmentalize it, and say that one "might like the feeling, but not the potential result" but It doesn't need to go that far. Not liking part of something is enough reason not to like the whole experience, whatever it is.

17. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Heroin would be a poor example as well, especially in your case because youre of the belief that it is "intrinsically bad". Your example only applies if you also view sex as something "intrinsically bad".

18. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Not a good analogy at all. It's pretty well understood by one and all that car accidents are very bad experiences.

OTOH, most people find sex to be a good experience.

A better analogy might be playing bass. Lots of people like it, but it's not for everyone either.

19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was trying to make the point that we know things can be bad and we don't HAVE TO experience them to be sure.

20. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    ^ Yeah, but whether or not someone likes them is something else. Sex can be bad for you too. Not as often as heroin, though. I think it's kind of a grey area when the interest of self preservation takes over the interest of self gratification.