1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Am Asexual

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I find it amusing that this thread has chased away the only contributor with any claims to first hand experience and is now a bunch of people who've barely heard of the term bickering about the legitimacy of it.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Thats a completely different point than trying something to see whether you like it or not.
    Even those bad things, we dont know whether we'll like them or not. Some people stay away from things because they know them to be bad, but that doesnt mean that we wouldnt like them.

However, again, your point doesnt apply to the matter of sex, and whether one would like it or not without having partaken. We know the consequences of sex, and we also know how to control the consequences in most cases, with about 99% certainty.

3. Not sure if it's still on there but there was a decent documentary/film on asexuality on Netflix a couple months back--I think it was called "(A)sexual". Pretty decent for scratching the surface.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Exactly.

I have no problem with someone saying they don't want to try something, but you can't really say you don't like something unless you try it.

5. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Car accidents are pretty much always bad. No "can be" about it.

Maybe a better analogy would be felling trees with a chainsaw. That's an activity that can be very bad if done improperly.

6. MetalSearGolid

MetalSearGolid Cyperpunk Cowboy

Aug 29, 2013
    Michigan, USA
    I think it's still on there. It's on my things to watch list once my girlfriend stops watching Charmed all the time on it.

7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    The interwebs. Nature of the beast. *shrug*

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Chased away? She was posting just earlier today. Some people do have lives outside of TB:OT!

...I'm not one of them :atoz:

Also, I don't think I've seen a single person question the legitimacy of it. They've questioned stuff about it, but don't recall a single poster saying they believe it doesn't exist.

9. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Meh. Some of the stuff seems like it's coming across as fairly skeptical, but that just might be my read on it.

10. I agree.

Long as I'm posting....I, like norton, (ha!) read one of thunder's "asexual" posts some time back and thought back to biology class. I assumed it meant she was only into herself, not that she was void of sexual desire. I actually thought, "Is this a real thing? Are we being trolled or is someone making up something so they can fit into a category?"

Color me schooled, I did not know...actually I guess did know that there were people who were sans sexual impulse. Still taken by surprise to actually meet one :p

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, thats pretty much the point I was making.

Thats fine if you have no interest in trying something, but you cant claim whether you like something or not without having experienced it.
    Let me throw a scenario at you...

Person A rear ends their vehicle into Person B. Person A is at fault.
    Both parties walk away with no injuries. Person A's car is totalled, Person B's car has negligible damage (lets say a dented bumper).
    Insurance claims are made. Person B is compensated for repairs. Person A pays their deductible and is given a payout for their vehicle (minus the $500 deductible)
    Person A takes the payout and uses it as a deposit on a used car, lowering their monthly payment by $80/month.
    Person A's insurance rates are hardly affected, as a previous accident has fallen off of their record.

Other than the time spent there was hardly any loss. In fact, Person A is now saving a little more cash than they were previously. Not really that bad, eh?

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    nah, I get the same vibe.
    It's ok though, not everyone's going to agree on stuff. I think that it's a cool thread to be honest. Kudos to the OP for sharing that. I've never really considered asexuality before. It's an interesting topic.

13. Funny thing is, I sometimes wish I could do away with my sexual desires and am a little envious of those who don't have them. Would make life a lot less complicated for me

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I see you didn't read my previous post. I know I don't want to die. Therefore I don't like heroin. I don't have to try it. Read back to see the "covercompartmentalized" part you missed.

Perhaps the OP doesn't have to go all the way to know that she doesn't like intimate contact. Perhaps a guy got close to her or put her his hand on her back in a passing motion...whatever. Maybe she has experimented with a dildo, and didn't like the feeling. There could be all kinds of intimate contacts and events, both physical and emotional that she may have experienced that helped solidify her asexual feelings. She doesn't have to have had a penis in her vagina to know that.

15. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    My libido will be the death of me...one way or another.

16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Seriously. My wife and I have had that very conversation. Sometimes I feel like I'm a slave to it... it gets freaking annoying as hell sometimes.

17. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I wish I were attracted to men so I could stop being tempted to wear my girlfriend's underwear.:|

18. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I think the bigger question here is why does person A keep getting into accidents? :p ;)

19. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I didnt miss anything. I read it and responded to it.
    For some people, the risks are worth the gratification. For you theyre not. That still doesnt mean that you might not like heroin if you tried it. You have no interest in trying it for fear of the consequences. Thats not the same as not liking something.

And again, because you view heroin as instrinsically bad, heroin only works as an example if you view sex as intrinsically bad. So lets stop using heroin as an example.

Im not arguing against this. I see you didn't read my previous post ;)

My point wasnt in regards to the OP. I wasnt suggesting she try having sex to see if she likes it, as she has no interest in it. That is something altogether different from not liking it.

The only point I was making is that "you cant claim whether you like something or not without having experienced it."
    The examples you give above, IMO, would count as having experienced it.

20. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Accidents happen. Per that example it could have been only 2 accidents ever, spaced out over the course of 5 years. I am not Person A. :p

Ah, but would you cease to be tempted to wear ladies undergarments altogether? ;)