Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I am beginning studies with Richard Davis, please help me be prepared

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by AJ Love, May 12, 2003.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I am fortunate in that jazz great Richard Davis lives in my hometown (Madison WI), and he has agreed to take me on as a private student, beginning next month

I want to be as prepared as much as possible in advance, so that I won't be learning the very basics from a Jazz great like Richard. (of course whatever he wants me to work on I will but it would be best if I am as prepared as possible in advance)

so, I have been increasing my reading ability quite a bit, as well as nailing down my knowledge of the modes and chords (major minor dominant augmented etc). anything else that I should make sure and KNOW before my first lesson?

I should point out that I am 37 years old, play electric bass exclusively (so why am I posting in the DB forum? because you guys are much more mature and knowledgeable about Jazz and theory), have played professionally for many years but mainly have played funk and fusion and am just now getting into deepening my knowledge about Jazz and Jazz standards

2. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    Jason---thats very good advice. i know you are right

i have had a series of problems with tendinitis that pretty much restricts me to only playing electric bass. my greatest influences (Chambers, Brown, Mingus, Blanton) are all Upright players..... I'd much rather play with the taste and note selection of Chambers or Blanton than Jaco and Wooten any day

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Three suggestions:

a) Find some of Mr. Davis' records, if you haven't already. Focus in on how he links up with the other players. If you need suggestions, try www.AllMusic.com but be prepared to pick your jaw off the floor -- he's probably on 1,000 recordings.

b) Keep your ears open. It's entirely possible that he will teach by example rather than by exposition. But there's no doubt: The man KNOWS. Mr. Davis is one of a very small group of players who has worked at the highest levels in both the jazz and orchestral worlds.

c) And by all means, have fun! Lucky dog!